10 Things I Hate About You
Katarina "Kat" Stratford
- I hate the way you talk to me, and the way you cut your hair.
I hate the way you drive my car, I hate it when you stare.
I hate your big, dumb combat boots and the way you read my mind.
I hate you so much it makes me sick — It even makes me rhyme.
I hate the way you're always right. I hate it when you lie.
I hate it when you make me laugh — Even worse when you make me cry.
I hate it when you're not around. And the fact that you didn't call.
But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you — Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.
- Romantic? Hemingway? He was an abusive, alcoholic misogynist who squandered half of his life hanging around Picasso trying to nail his leftovers.
- Remove head from sphincter, then drive!
Dr. Walter Stratford
- Listen, I'm down, I've got the 411, and you are not going out and getting jiggy with some boy, I don't care how dope his ride is!... Momma di'nt raise no fool.
- You're 18, you don't know what you want. And you won't know what you want 'til you're 45, and even if you get it, you'll be too old to use it!
- Kissing isn't what keeps me up to my elbows in placenta all day long!
- Just because you're beautiful doesn't mean you can treat people like they don't matter.
- What is it with this chick? She got beer flavored nipples?
- It's not everyday you find a girl who'll flash someone to get you out of detention.
- You're asking me out? That's so cute! What's your name again?
- I happen to like being adored, thank you!
- (While punching Joey at intervals) That's for making my date bleed! That's for my sister...and that's for me.
- You don't buy black lingerie unless you want someone to see it.
- Patrick: So what's your excuse?
- Kat: For?
- Patrick: Acting the way we do.
- Kat: I don't like to do what people expect. Why should I live up to other people's expectations instead of my own?
- Patrick: So you disappoint them from the start and then you're covered, right?
- Kat: (smiles) Something like that…
- Patrick: Then you screwed up.
- Kat: How?
- Patrick: You never disappointed me.
- Bianca: Where did you come from? Planet Loser?
- Kat: As opposed to Planet Look-at-Me, Look-at-Me?
- Dr. Stratford: [claps] Ok, here's how we solve this one: Old rule out. New rule: Bianca can date [Bianca smiles, Kat with a shocked face] when she does. [points at Kat]
- Bianca: But she's a mutant! What if she never dates?
- Dr. Stratford: Then you'll never date. Oh I like that. And I'll get to sleep at night, the deep slumber of a father whose daughters aren't out being impregnated.
- Dr. Stratford: This morning I delivered a set of twins to a fifteen-year-old girl, and you know what she said to me?
- Bianca: "I'm a crack-whore who should have made my skeezy boyfriend wear a condom"?
- Dr. Stratford: Close...but no. She said, "I should have listened to my father."
- Bianca: She did not!
- Dr. Stratford: Well, that's what she would have said if she wasn't so doped up.
- Cameron: She never wanted me. She wanted Joey the whole time.
- Patrick: Cameron, do you like the girl?
- Cameron: Yeah.
- Patrick: Yeah, and is she worth all this trouble?
- Cameron: Well, I thought she was, but you know, I...
- Patrick: Well, she is or she isn't. See first of all, Joey is not half the man you are. Secondly, don't let anyone ever make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. Go for it.
- Dr. Stratford: Hello Katarina. Make anybody cry today?
- Kat: Sadly no, but it's only 4:30.
- Dr. Stratford: Where's your sister going?
- Kat: She's meeting some bikers. Big ones. Full of sperm.
- Dr. Stratford: Funny. [a little curious] So, tell me about this dance, was it hoppin'?
- Kat: Ugh. Parts of it.
- Dr. Straford: Which parts?
- Kat: [laughingly] The part where Bianca beat the hell out of some guy.
- Dr. Straford: Bianca did what?
- Kat: What's the matter, upset that I rubbed off on her?
- Dr. Straford: [proud] No, impressed.
- Kat: You can't just buy me a guitar every time you screw up, you know.
- Patrick: Yeah, I know. But then, you know, there's always drums and bass and maybe even one day a tambourine.
- Bianca: Ah-Ha! (pulls out black knickers) Black panties!
- Cameron: Well what does that tell us?
- Bianca: (looking at the knickers curiously) She wants to have sex some day that's what!
- Cameron: (shocked) You know she could just like the colour!
- Bianca: (not believing her ears) You don't buy black lingere unless you want someone to see it!
- Cameron: So um...can I see your room?
- Bianca: No! (when Cameron looks confused) A girl's room is very personal!
- Dr. Stratford: (mimicing Kat) "Whoops"? (Kat looks up at him from reading her book) My insurance does not cover PMS!
- Kat: (sighs) Well then tell them that i had a seizure!
- Dr. Stratford: What is this? Are you punishing me because i want you to stay home?
- How do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways.
- Allusion to Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Sonnets from the Portuguese, No. LXIII:
- "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways."
- I burn, I pine, I perish!
- Romeo, Oh Romeo, Get Out Of My Face.
- They're spitefully romantic.
- Heath Ledger - Patrick Verona
- Julia Stiles - Kat Stratford
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt - Cameron James
- Larisa Oleynik - Bianca Stratford
- Larry Miller - Dr. Walter Stratford
- David Krumholtz - Michael
- Andrew Keegan - Joey Donner
- Gabrielle Union - Chastity