20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (film)
(Redirected from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea)
20000 Leagues Under the Sea is a 1954 film starring Kirk Douglas as Ned Land, James Mason as Captain Nemo, Paul Lukas as Professor Aronnax and Peter Lorre as Conseil. The film is based on the book of the same name by Jules Verne.
- Think of it: On the surface, there is hunger and fear. Men still exercise unjust laws. They fight and tear one another to pieces. A mere few feet beneath the waves, their reign ceases, their evil drowns. Here on the ocean floor is the only independence. Here, I am free. Imagine what would happen if they controlled machines such as this submarine boat. Far better that they think there's a monster and hunt me with harpoons...
- There is hope for the future. When the world is ready for a new and better life, all this will someday come to pass... in God's good time.
- Reporter: We're interested in your opinion of this monster.
- Professor Arronax: My opinion? Frankly, it's rather low at the moment.
- Captain Farragut: Look alive there! Get your range and fire, Carson! What's the matter?
- Carson: She's showing us her heels, sir!
- Captain Farragut: Well hit her in the heels then! Fire!
- Carson: Aye aye sir! Run her out smartly!
- Conseil: I demand a fair trial!
- Captain Nemo: You've had your trial. The sea brought you, the sea shall have you back.
- Professor Arronax: You cannot do this! This is uncivilized!
- Captain Nemo: I am not what is called a "civilized man", Professor. I have done with society for reasons that seem good to me. Therefore I do not obey its laws.
- Captain Nemo: There's a fork on your left, Mr. Land, or aren't you accustomed to utensils?
- Ned Land: [mouth full of food] I'm indifferent to 'em.
- Captain Nemo: You were sent to get food, not treasure! You can't eat pieces of eight!
- Ned Land: Eat? I can eat any time——
- Captain Nemo: You place an absurd value on the cheapest of human commodities. Aboard the Nautilus we use such baubles for ballast.
- [Nemo strolls over and opens a hatch to reveal a walk-in locker full of gold treasure. Ned stares.]
- Ned Land: Ballast... [walks over and pulls a gilted item from the pile, smiling] ...I sure could lighten this ship!
- Captain Nemo: [snatching the piece and depositing it back in the closet] The greatest treasures of all, Mister Land, are a sound mind and a full belly. I hope you remember that before stooping to pick up pennies.
- Ned Land: You've been pickin' them up. And pickin' them up good! '...Ballast'!
- Captain Nemo: Do you know the meaning of love, professor?
- Professor Arronax: I believe I do.
- Captain Nemo: What you fail to understand is the power of hate. It can fill the heart as surely as love can.
- Professor Arronax: I'm sorry for you. It's a bitter substitute.
- Captain Nemo: I asked you to leave, Professor.
- Professor Arronax: You also asked me ashore, to show me man's inhumanity to man. Why? To justify this? You are not only a murderer, you are a hypocrite. The proof lies out there.
- Captain Nemo: You call that murder? Well, I see murder, too. Not on those drowned faces out there, but on the faces of dead thousands! They are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the avenger! Is murder a right reserved for that hated nation? They've already taken everything else from me. Everything but my secrets. The secret of my submarine boat and the energy that propels it, they tried! They cast me to prison and when they failed, when they failed, they tortured my wife and young son to death.
- Captain Nemo: Mr. Land, you saved my life. Why?
- Ned Land: That's a good question! Well, there's only one thing a fella can do when he's made a mistake as big as this. Get drunk.
- Ned Land: Excellent!
- Conseil: Exquisite!
- Kirk Douglas as Ned Land
- James Mason as Captain Nemo
- Paul Lukas as Professor Pierre Aronnax
- Peter Lorre as Conseil
- Robert J. Wilke as Nautilus's First Mate
- Ted de Corsia as Captain Farragut
- Carleton Young as John Howard
- J. M. Kerrigan as Billy
- Percy Helton as Coach driver
- Ted Cooper as Abraham Lincoln's First Mate
- Fred Graham as Casey