42 is a 2013 American biographical sports film written and directed by Brian Helgeland about the life of baseball player Jackie Robinson, who wore jersey number 42. 42 was released in North America on April 12, 2013.
- Ben Chapman: Why don'tcha look in a mirror? This is a white man's game!
- Jackie Robinson: I'm not goin' anywhere! I'm right here!
- Reporter: Whatcha gonna do if one of these pitchers throws for your head?
- Jackie Robinson: I'll duck.
- Leo Durocher: If Robinson can help us win, then he is gonna play on this ball club!
- Branch Rickey: Jackie Robinson. A black man in white baseball.
- Branch Rickey: Your enemy will be out in force. But you cannot meet him on his own low ground.
- Jackie Robinson: You want a player who doesn't have the guts to fight back?
- Branch Rickey: No. I want a player who's got the guts *not* to fight back.
- Jackie Robinson: You give me a uniform, you give me a number on my back, I'll give you the guts.
- Kirby Higbe: I got traded... to Pittsburg!
- Ben Chapman: Hey, Stanky, what's it like bein' a nigger's nigger?
- Eddie Stanky: I dunno, Chapman, what's it like bein' a redneck piece of shit?
- Pee Wee Reese: Maybe tomorrow, we'll all wear 42, so nobody could tell us apart.
- Reporter: Baseball was proof positive that democracy was real. A baseball box score after all, is a democratic thing. It doesn't say how big you are, or what religion you follow it does not know how you voted, or the color of your skin, it simply states what kind of ballplayer you were on any particular day.
- Branch Rickey: [referring to Jackie Robinson] He's a Methodist, I'm a Methodist... And God's a Methodist; We can't go wrong.
- Jackie Robinson: Why'd you do this Mr. Rickey?
- Branch Rickey: We had a victory over fascism in Germany. It's time we had a victory over racism here.
- Jackie Robinson: No. Why? Why'd YOU do it? Come on.
- Branch Rickey: I love this game. I love baseball. Given my whole life to it. 40 odd years ago I was a player coach at Ohio-Wesleyan University. We had a Negro catcher. Best hitter on the team. Charlie Thomas. Fine young man. I saw him laid low, broken because of the color of his skin and I didn't do enough to help. Told myself I did but I didn't. There was something unfair at the heart of the game I loved and I ignored it. But a time came when I could no longer do that. You...you let me love baseball again.
- Chadwick Boseman as Jackie Robinson
- Harrison Ford as Branch Rickey
- Andre Holland as Wendell Smith
- Christopher Meloni as Leo Durocher
- John C. McGinley as Red Barber
- Lucas Black as Pee Wee Reese
- Alan Tudyk as Ben Chapman
- Nicole Behaire as Rachel Isum Robinson
- C. J. Nitkowski as Dutch Leonard
- Brett Cullen as Clay Hopper
- Ryan Merriman as Dixie Walker
- T. R. Knight as Harold Parrott
- Hamish Linklater as Ralph Branca
- Brad Beyer as Kirby Higbe
- Jesse Kuken as Eddie Stanky
- Max Gail as Burt Shotton
- Peter MacKenzie as Happy Chandler
- Linc Hand as Fritz Ostermueller