9 (2009 film)
- Directed by Shane Acker. Screenplay written by Pamela Pettler.
- We had such potential. Such promise. But we squandered our gifts, our intelligence. Our blind pursuit of technology only sped us quicker to our doom. Our world is ending. But life must go on.
- Sometimes, one must be sacrificed for the good of many.
- [Last words] They've left us nothing. Nothing. Why do we have to right their wrongs? Sometimes, one must be sacrificed.
- Wait! I'm a friend.
- Wait! What are you doing?! We don't know what it is!
- 9: You're nothing but a coward.
- 1: How dare you challenge me? I, who kept everyone safe? Ever since you got here, everything have been unraveling. You're a curse! A fool, guided by pointless queries!
- 9: And you are a blind man, guided by fear.
- [A shadow darkens the room as something flies by the church window]
- 1: Sometimes, fear is the appropriate response.
- 5: This was the first thing we built together.
- 9: We can still go after him.
- 5: Us? But he could be anywhere out there.
- 9: Why don't you listen to 1?
- 5: A group must have a leader.
- 9: But what if he's wrong? (5 looks confused) Come with me. I can't do it alone.
- (At the cathedral...)
- 1: You awakened what?! You fools! I warned you!
- 8: Warned you.
- [In a flashback, 1 describes how the State's never-ending war against another nation saw the introduction of self-piloted war machines. These machines ended up turning on humanity, ending the war with massive artillery barrages of poison gas shells.]
- 1: The gas killed everything. I led us here... to Sanctuary. Here we waited for the war to end. Slowly the world become silent. All that remains now, is the beast. So we stay hidden, and we wait for it too to sleep.
- 9: But where did it come from? Why is it hunting us?
- 1: Questions like that are pointless! We need to protect ourselves. Keep ourselves out of danger. Too many of us have already been lost.
- 9: But he isn't lost.
- (1 walks away):
- 9: Why aren't you listening to me?
- 1: 2 chose his own path!
- 1: But you, always asking questions. So many pointless questions. Probing, pushing like 2! He always had to know! (rips the page off the book) Too much!
- 9: I was right. You did send him out to die!
- 1: He was old! He was weak! (5 gasps and 7 glares at him) Sometimes, one must be sacrificed for the good of many.
- 7: YOU COWARD!!
- [After the machines are defeated and the factory destroyed, it slowly begins to rain. This has not happened in a very long time.]
- 7: What happens next?
- 9: I'm not sure, exactly. But this world is ours now. It's what we make of it.
- Elijah Wood - 9
- Fred Tatasciore - 8 / Radio announcer
- Jennifer Connelly - 7
- Crispin Glover - 6
- John C. Reilly - 5
- Martin Landau - 2
- Christopher Plummer - 1
- Alan Oppenheimer - The Scientist
- Tom Kane - The Chancellor