A Fistful of Dollars
A Fistful of Dollars is a 1964 film about a wandering gunfighter playing two rival families against each other, the Rojos and Baxters. :Directed by Sergio Leone. Written by Víctor Andrés Catena, Jaime Comas Gil, and Sergio Leone, based on Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo.
The title - commented on nowhere to be found so far - can be traced to The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations, q.v. under 'EMILIANO ZAPATA' (the name shouted over and over by Antony Quinn in Elia Kazan's eponymous 1952 VIVA ZAPATA).
"Many of them, so as to curry favour with tyrants, for a fistful of coins (un puñado de monedas)or through bribery or corruption, are making the blood of their brothers spurt forth." (Plan de Ayala, 1911
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Aim for the heart, Ramon.
- [Before a gunfight, to the undertaker.] Get three coffins ready.
- [After same gunfight, to the undertaker] My mistake: four coffins.
- The Rojos on one side of town, the Baxters on the other, and me right in the middle.
- [The four Baxters aren't apologizing for laughing at his mule] I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. Gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it...
- (To Ramon) "When the man with a 45 meets the man with a rifle, you said the man with a pistol is a dead man" (load his gun). Let's see if it's true.
- Hello. (First line)
- Sometimes the dead can be more useful than the living.
- (Quoting Don Miguel Rojo) A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information.
- (Soon after quoting Don Miguel Rojo) Five hundred dollars.
- When a man's got money in his pocket, he begins to appreciate peace.
- When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, the man with a pistol will be a dead man. That's an old Mexican Proverb...and it's true.
Don Miguel Rojo
- With a gun in his hand, nothing stands in his way.
- Father: How may we thank you for what you are doing?
- Man W/No Name: Don't try just get goin' before the Rojos get here.
- Marisol: Why do you do this for us?
- Man W/No Name: Why? Because I knew someone like you once and there was no one there to help. Now get movin'. Get movin'! Get out of here right now kid!