Across the Universe (film)
Across the Universe is a 2007 Academy-award nominated film musical based on The Beatles songbook and set in the 60s England, America, and Vietnam. The love story of Lucy and Jude is intertwined with the anti-war movement and social protests of the 60s.
- If everybody is nobody, than somebody could be anybody.
- [After Lucy chastises him for drawing instead of vocally protesting] I'm sorry I'm not a man with a megaphone, but this is what I do!
- Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore... play it loud enough and it keeps the demons at bay.
- Well, you seem pretty clean-cut, but then again you might've murdered your granny with a hammer
- Max: Why isn't the issue here who I am?
- Uncle Teddy: Because, Maxwell, what you do defines who you are.
- Max: No, Uncle Teddy, who you are defines what you do, right Jude?
- Jude: Surely it's not what you do, but it's the...the way that you do it.
- Jude: [to Lucy] My god you... you have perfect teeth. No, no. You do -- they're perfect. You know, people in Liverpool only seldom do. They stick out in all different directions. It's horrible.
- Lucy: Haven't you ever heard of braces?
- Jude: Yes I have, thank you very much. We use them to keep our trousers up.
- Jude: What are you going to do if you don't go back to college?
- Max: What any irresponsible, unmotivated, drop-out would do. Go to New York, like tonight.
- Sadie: You got a good memory for faces?
- Max: Yeah, I think so. Why?
- Sadie: There's no mirror in your bathroom.
- Sadie: [upon seeing Prudence for the first time] Where'd she come from?
- Jude: She came in through the bathroom window.
- Army Sergeant: Is there any reason you shouldn't serve in this man's Army?
- Max: I'm a cross-dressing homosexual pacifist with a spot on my lung.
- Army Sergeant: As long as you don't have flat feet...
- Hippie: [after hearing Max wants to avoid the draft] You still have options man.
- Max: Yeah, jail or Canada and they both suck. I mean I could never come home, so what is it, it's a choice of a 6x4 cell or an endless wasteland of frozen tundra.
- Hippie: Montreal is cool.
- Max: Man, they speak French there.
- Groupie: So learn French. Learn French or die.
- Lucy: I would gladly lay in front of a tank if it would bring back Max and end this war.
- Jude: Yeah? well it wouldn't.
- Lucy: We're in the middle of a revolution Jude. And what are you doing? Doodles and cartoons?
- Jude: Well I'm sorry I'm not the man with the mega-phone, but this is what I do.
- All you need is love.
- From director Julie Taymor comes the most original, exhilarating, spectacular, groundbreaking motion picture of the year.
- They lived without rules. They loved without fear. But as the world changed, so did they.
- Within the lyrics of the world's most famous songs, lives a story that has never been told. Until now.
- Evan Rachel Wood - Lucy Carrigan
- Jim Sturgess - Jude Feeny
- Joe Anderson - Maxwell "Max" Carrigan
- Dana Fuchs - Sadie
- Martin Luther McCoy - Jojo
- T. V. Carpio - Prudence
- Jacob Pitts - Desmond
- Logan Marshall-Green - Paco
- Bono - Dr. Robert
- Eddie Izzard - Mr. Kite
- Salma Hayek - Bang Bang Shoot Shoot nurse
- Joe Cocker - Pimp / Mad Hippie / Bum