Adam Warlock, originally known as Him, is a golden-skinned superhero who appears in the fictional Marvel Universe created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. The character first appeared in Fantastic Four Vol. 1, #66 (September 1967) in cocoon form, and #67 (October 1967) in humanoid form. He developed as a Messiah figure in the early 1970s, battling against the Man-Beast, and later after Earth's Avengers had been defeated by the super-viillain Thanos, he appeared as "the Ultimate Avenger" against him. In later stories he eventually battled incarnations of aspects of his own psyche, the tyrranical Magus, and the fanatical Goddess, and even later, emerged from the realms of the Soul Gem to once again battle Thanos, who had attained God-like powers. Defeating him when he himself attains those powers, he eventually abandons them, forming the group the Infinity Watch to prevent anyone from ever again attaining such power. Later still, he joined the Guardians of the Galaxy.
- See also:
Warlock (1972 - 1976)
- Sculptor of worlds! Is it your voice I hear? If so, then speak ... and Warlock shall heed!
- To the High Evolutionary, No. 1 (August 1972)
- You have not called me here merely to praise yourself. Then why have you done so ... when there are things I must do on the planet you created?
- To the High Evolutionary, in No. 1 (August 1972)
- The way ahead is long ... and dangerous. I'll have no one with me who doesn't want to come.
- To his human companions, in No. 1 (August 1972)
Warlock : Special Edition (1983)
- Warlock: Adam Warlock, the Godslayer has come for you, demon! Prepare to die!!
- Thanos: Fool. Nothing stops death! Nothing! Not even a poor deluded maniac who claims to be the champion of life. So die, Adam Warlock, my mistress awaits you.
- Warlock: You have succeeded in releasing me — the Ultimate Avenger. Thanos knows my purpose! Is that not so, evil one?
- Thanos: By the great nebula! It cannot be you! I saw you die! I killed you!
- Warlock: That you did, vile serpent. Yet I could not rest while you remained a threat to my universe!
The Infinity Gauntlet (1991)
- Written by Jim Starlin
- In my time many called me Adam Warlock. You may do so also, if you feel so inclined.
- There are forces at work you do not perceive. I weave a delicate strategy which rash actions could rend. Patience, please.
- Naked power is seldom the answer to any problem. Surely you must know that even this group's combined might is nothing compared to the force Thanos wields. Only a richly complex and skillfully executed strategy will insure your survival. Time is short and I have such a plan.
- In a short while, we confront Thanos, a being of unimaginable power whose sole goal is the destruction of all life. … Extreme measures may be called for in dealing with him. You and the Hulk have an outlook on death the others do not share … except for Doom, but he cannot be trusted.
- Privately, to Wolverine and the Hulk, instructing them that if they get any opportunity, to kill Thanos without hesitation, in Issue 3: Preparations for War.
- We tried to do this the easy way — and we failed. Now begins the conflict I strove to avoid. It may well prove to be a battle the Universe cannot survive! Eternity, it is now your turn.
- In Issue 4 : Cosmic Battle on the Edge of the Universe
- I was part of the Soul Gem while you possessed it, which permitted me access to your inner heart. I know you as no other being in the universe does, better than even you do, yourself.
- Let the conflict END!
- I am now The Supreme Being, seek not to dispute that claim.
- To Thanos and the gathered heroes and villains who had sought the Infinity Gauntlet, in Issue 6 : The Final Confrontation
- Already, the distance between what I was and am is insurmountable — like an ant contemplating the Cosmos.
I knew it would be so … yet still I hoped.
I guess there is really nothing left to say.
- I begin a journey mapped out amidst the stars. 'Tis a path I cannot stray from —
- As he goes to visit the defeated Thanos, in Issue 6 : The Final Confrontation
- Time is a repeating loop to me now.
- I seek not revenge. Advice is what I crave.
- To Thanos, as a fellow being who has been burdened with the wearing of the Infinity Gauntlet.
Warlock and the Infinity Watch (1992 - 1995)
- I am the type who sees the future and is held prisoner by it. How many times has this little drama repeated itself to me..?
- No. 1 (February 1992)
- I am off to shed my Godhood.
Guardians of the Galaxy (2008 - 2010)
- I don't know if this team will work or not. All I know is it MUST. Time is critical. I see clearly now why I've been reborn. We haven't got long. Years if we're lucky, months if we're not.
- Vol. 2, No. 1 : "Somebody's Got To Do It" (2008)
Quotes about Warlock
- Adam Warlock, a being who wished nothing more than to spend the rest of his days within the peaceful environment of the Soul Gem. He now possesses the Infinite Power and the responsibility that goes with it. While I, whose entire life was dedicated to the pursuit of power, now find myself scraping out a living from the soil. Irony worthy of the drama.
Yet strangely enough though, I envy not Adam Warlock.
Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal.
- When I finished with Captain Marvel I had turned him from a warrior into a mystic. Adam Warlock was a mystical messiah. Where to go from there? Decided to reverse course and turn him into a suicidal paranoid/schizophrenic, which was the way I was feeling at the time. I’ve always used my work to examine what is currently going on in my own life. It’s cheaper than going to a shrink.
- I had some trepidation about the Christ parallels, but I hoped there would be little outcry if I handled it tastefully, since I was not really making any serious statement on religion... at least not overtly.