Alfredo Di Stéfano
- Ball is made of leather, leather comes from cows, cows eat grass, and there is where the ball must be.
- The Wit and Wisdom of Alfredo Di Stéfano Kindle Location 71.
- Finals are not to be played; they are to be won.
- The Wit and Wisdom of Alfredo Di Stéfano Kindle Location 94.
- Failure is a necessary part of success.
- The Wit and Wisdom of Alfredo Di Stéfano Kindle Location 98.
- I was a forward, and one of the obligations of a forward is to score goals.
- The Wit and Wisdom of Alfredo Di Stéfano Kindle Location 192.
The Guardian interview (2008)
- Quotes of Di Stéfano from "Training, sweating and learning" by Marcela Mora y Araujo, in The Guardian (10 June 2008).
- It has changed a bit, of course. The speed and all that. But let me tell you something: in the olden times, let's say the year, I don't know, in the Sixties for instance, we would eat a plate of spaghetti and run out onto the pitch. Then people started saying 'they're too full', meaning you'd get bloated like a pig if you ate spaghetti. But this shows you those guys were clever because nowadays all the medical experts recommend pasta for athletes and footballers because you digest it slowly.
- We must always strive to improve, little by little.
- Do you know how many rules there are in football? … There are 17 rules. That's it. Everyone talks about football and nobody remembers this simple fact.
- I always enjoyed training, sweating and learning
- I've always been a team player, that's all. One for all and all for one.
- People nowadays are obsessed with golden awards, about who is the best — when we know in reality the one with more money wins.