An Officer and a Gentleman
- Byron Mayo: I'm out at sea three weeks out of every month, and when I'm back at port, I don't have time for this daddy stuff, 'cause that's not who I am.
- Young Zack Mayo: That's okay, sir.
- Byron: Wait a second, kid, you don't understand. I'm too old for this. I don't care what the Navy says. This is no place to bring up a kid like I told you on the telephone. You're better off at that state school back at Virginia.
- Young Zack: I'm never going back there. They treat me like shit.
- Byron: Maybe that's not for you to say. Goddamnit, don't look at me that way. What happened to your mother had nothing to do with me.
- Young Zack: It did. You said you were gonna come back. You promised.
- Byron: Is that what she said? That's a female lie. That's bullshit! That a lie!
- Young Zack: I found your letters. I read them right after she did it. You said you were gonna come back for us. You said you loved her, and she believed you. You're a liar!
- [a group of juvenile delinquents in Subic waylay a young Zack Mayo]
- Lead Thug: Akin na pera mo! ["Give me your money!" in Tagalog]
- Zack Mayo: But I have no money!
- Lead Thug: Bullshit! [punches Mayo in the face. Thugs take Mayo's wallet]
- GySgt. Emil Foley: [looks at Mayo's tattoo] Hey, this is really wonderful work! Where'd you get this, Mayo?
- Zack Mayo: Subic Bay, Philippines, sir.
- Foley: I thought I recognized the work. Be proud of them wings. They're the only one you're leaving here with, Mayo-NAISE.
- Zack Mayo: What do you want? You want to fuck? Is that what you want? You wanna fuck? All right, come here. Get on the bed. Take your clothes off. I'll give you a good fuck.
- Paula Pokrifki: Where's that coming from?
- Zack Mayo: Get on the bed.
- Pokrifki: I wouldn't fuck you now if my life --
- Mayo: Then get the hell out of here, because I don't need this shit.
- Pokrifki: I don't know who you think you're talking to, you know. I'm not some whore you brought in here. I'm trying to be nice to you. I'm trying to be your friend, Zack.
- Mayo: Well, then be a friend. Get out of here.
- Pokrifki: Fine. Fine. You know, man. You ain't nothing special. You got no manners. You treat women like whores. And if you ask me, you ain't got no chance of being no officer.
- Paula Pokrifki: Zack, when you're through with a girl, what do you do? Do you you say something or do you just...disappear?
- Zack Mayo: I never had a girl.
- [Foley has discovered Mayo's racket in his quarters]
- GySgt. Emil Foley: Mayo, I want your DOR.
- Zack Mayo: No, sir. You can kick me outta here, but I ain't quitting.
- Foley: Get into your fatigues, Mayo. By the end of this weekend, you'll quit.
- [Foley continues taunting Mayo]
- GySgt. Emil Foley: You can forget it! You're out!
- Zack Mayo: Don't you do it! Don't! You... I GOT NOWHERE ELSE TO GO! I got nowhere else to g... I got nothin' else.
- Foley: All right Mayo, on your feet.
- [Mayo talks to Foley about Sid Worley getting himself DOR'd]
- Zack Mayo: You didn't kick him out, did you? Wait, sir! Didn't he tell you what he's been going through?
- GySgt. Emil Foley: It doesn't matter what he's been going through; that's what bartenders are for. What does matter is that he freaked out for some reason at 25,000 feet, and that can happen. Period.
- Mayo: There's this girl that he's gotten pregnant, and she's putting him through hell, sir.
- Sid Worley: He's right, Zack. It doesn't matter.
- Mayo: Just like that? It's all over? With less than two weeks to go, you're out?
- Foley: It can still happen to you too, Mayo-naise.
- Mayo: I am talking to you, motherfucker!
- Foley: What did you call me?
- Sid Worley: Lynette, marry me. Make me the happiest man in the whole world.
- Lynette Pomeroy: I'm sorry, Sid, but I don't wanna marry you. I really like you. We've had ourselves some really great times, but I thought you understood. I want to marry a pilot. I want to live my life overseas. The wife of an aviator...[bitterly] Damn you! Goddamn you! Nobody DOR's after 11 weeks! NOBODY!
- Zack Mayo: Sir, this officer candidate request permission to see you in private... sir.
- GySgt. Emil Foley: [gently] Mayo, the whole class already knows about Candidate Worley, and we're sorry.
- Mayo: Oh, I'm sure you are.
- [upon graduation]
- GySgt. Emil Foley: Congratulations, Ensign Mayo.
- Zack Mayo: I'll never forget you, Sergeant.
- Foley: I know.
- Mayo: I wouldn't have made it without you.
- Foley: [with a straight face] Get the hell out of here.
- Mayo: Thank you, Sergeant.
- Life gave him nothing, except the courage to win... and a woman to love.
- It will lift you up where you belong.
|Richard Gere||Zack Mayo|
|Debra Winger||Paula Pokrifki|
|David Keith||Sid Worley|
|Robert Loggia||Byron Mayo|
|Lisa Blount||Lynette Pomeroy|
|Lisa Elibacher||Casey Seegar|
|Louis Gossett, Jr.||GySgt. Emil Foley|
|Tony Plana||Emiliano Della Serra|
|David Caruso||Topper Daniels|
|Victor French||Joe Pokrifki|
|Grace Zabriskie||Esther Pokrifki|
|Ed Begley, Jr.||Altitude Chamber Instructor (voice)|