- The task of the mind is to produce future, as the poet Paul Valery once put it. A mind is fundamentally an anticipator, an expectation-generator. It mines the present for clues, which it refines with the help of the materials it has saved from the past, turning them into anticipations of the future. And then it acts, rationally, on the basis of those hard-won anticipations.
- What we anticipate seldom occurs; what we least expected generally happens.
- Benjamin Disraeli, Henrietta Temple, Book II, Chap. iv (1837).
- It is better by noble boldness to run the risk of being subject to half of the evils we anticipate than to remain in cowardly listlessness for fear of what might happen.
- Herodotus, The Histories, Book 7, Ch. 50.
- I assume nothing. I anticipate the possibilities and I let the game play out...If you're good at anticipating the human mind, it leaves nothing to chance.
- Successful investing is anticipating the anticipations of others.
- John Maynard Keynes, as quoted in Isms (2006) by Gregory Bergman, p.105.
- Far off his coming shone.
- We do not rest satisfied with the present. We anticipate the future as too slow in coming, as if in order to hasten its course; or we recall the past, to stop its too rapid flight.
- I would not anticipate the relish of any happiness, nor feel the weight of any misery, before it actually arrives.
- Spectator, No. 7; reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 30.
- And now, at half-past ten o'clock, I hear the cockerels crow in Hubbard's barns, and morning is already anticipated. It is the feathered, wakeful thought in us that anticipates the following day.
- Henry David Thoreau, Journals, July 11, 1851 (1838-1859).
- Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate.
- To anticipate & prevent disastrous contingencies would be the part of wisdom & patriotism.