Asia is the world's largest and most populous continent, located primarily in the eastern and northern hemispheres. It covers 8.7% of the Earth's total surface area and comprises 30% of its land area. With approximately 4.3 billion people, it hosts 60% of the world's current human population.
- The PAX results reflect the BBC’s ongoing commitment to and investment in Asia, a region that has long been a key market for the channel and one where we are proud to be enjoying such success. BBC World News has revamped its output in Asia, including the successful launch of weekday programme Newsday, presented live from London and Singapore, and introduced specially commissioned series, such as Mishal Husain Meets and Thailand Direct. And as viewers across Asia demonstrate a growing appetite for global news, they’re increasingly turning to BBC World News and BBC.com/news for trusted and impartial coverage of global and local events. Viewers have plenty to look forward to in the coming months as BBC World News moves to its new base in Central London. New HD studios, dynamic presentation and state-of-the-art graphics will enhance the viewing experience and showcase the BBC’s established journalistic credentials in an engaging and compelling way. --Jim Egan, COO of BBC Global News.
- quoted on BBC News, "BBC World News named Asia’s fastest growing news channel", October 10, 2012.
- On this visit to Asia, I have been concerned that while many of the countries in which I have travelled are deeply aware of the threat of Communist expansion and the spectre of the third world war, they are also apprehensive that the mounting interest of the United States in this area may be just another phase of imperialism…I can say without equivocation: the United States firmly supports the orderly progress towards self-government throughout the world. The United States has no imperialistic ambitions whatsoever in Asia or in any other part of the globe. --Richard Nixon in Sri Lanka on November 28th, 1953.
- quoted on Wordpress, "US Vice President Richard Nixon’s broadcast over Radio Ceylon on 28th November 1953", August 23, 2013.
- The growth in Asia's Internet has been amazing. Between July and September of this year alone, more than 60 million people in Asia landed on the mobile internet for the first time. That's almost two Canadas, or three Australias. And this growth probably won't slow for some time, since the majority of people that have yet to come online also happen to live in Asia. --Joe Kava, vice president of centres at Google.
- quoted on BBC News, "Google opens first data centres in Asia", December 11, 2013.
- Another subpar growth in the year 2014 due to slow recovery, policy uncertainty and protectionism in developed countries. Asia-Pac developing economies face the prospect of a ‘new normal’ of lower growth in the coming years, underlining the need for forward-looking macroeconomic policies and intraregional cooperation. --Anisuzzaman Chowdhury, ESCAP director of Macroeconomic Policy and Development division when summarizing a report on Asia's Economy.
- quoted on Living Trading News, "Asia’s Emerging Economies Growth Expected To Slow In 2014", January 13, 2014.
- also quoted on Menafn.com, "Growth in Asia's Emerging Economies Expected To Slacken in 2014", January 13, 2014.
- It is a situation whereby U.S. markets have rallied to record highs, the S&P that is, just a couple of days ago, then of course investors will get a little bit nervous at high levels. I think they'd really like to see the earnings come out just to back up the theory that the U.S. markets are on the mend and is in a much better place now. --Stan Shamu, market strategist at IG in Melbourne, Australia, said the negative sentiment in Asia is a follow-through from the pullback in the U.S. markets.
- quoted on ABC News, "Asian Stocks Drop Following Wall Street Retreat", January 16, 2014
- The growth in the customer base is in Asia and that’s influenced our thinking on where we invest.
- Jonathan Asherson, Rolls-Royce’s Singapore-based regional director for countries in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) and the Pacific, quoted on FT.com, "Aerospace manufacturers head to Singapore innovation hub", February 10, 2014.