- I'm not terribly good with people. I like them. I wish I could say I had more than a rudimentary understanding of them. Maybe if they were less unpredictable...
- I'm sorry, if you were right, I would agree with you.
- Where are my glasses?
- What we do know is that, as the chemical window closed, another awakening took place; that the human spirit is more powerful than any drug and THAT is what needs to be nourished: with work, play, friendship, family. THESE are the things that matter. This is what we'd forgotten. The simplest things.
- Hello. My name is Leonard Lowe. It has been explained to me that I've been away for quite some time.I'm back.
- When my son was born healthy, I never asked why. Why was I so lucky? What did I do to deserve this perfect child, this perfect life? But when he got sick, you can bet I asked why! I demanded to know why! Why was this happening?
- Beth: [chasing her patient] Miriam! I have to take your blood pressure!
- Miriam: I've been sitting still for 25 years. You missed your chance.
- Dr. Sayer: You told him I was a kind man. How kind is it to give life, only to take it away?
- Eleanor: It's given to and taken away from all of us.
- Dr. Sayer: Why does that not comfort me?
- Eleanor: Because you are a kind man. Because he's your friend.
- Leonard Lowe: It's quiet.
- Dr. Sayer: Yes, everybody's sleeping.
- Leonard Lowe: I'm not.
- Anthony: [cheerfully] How's it going?
- Frank: How's it going?
- Anthony: Yeah, how do you feel?
- Frank: Well, my parents are dead. My wife is in an institution. My son has disappeared out west somewhere. I feel old and I feel swindled, that's how I feel.
- Mrs. Lowe: My son is in pain! Please, stop this!
- Dr. Sayer: He's fighting, Mrs. Lowe.
- Mrs. Lowe: He's losing.