Azumanga Daioh (2002) (Japanese: あずまんが大王) is a Japanese anime series about the passage of a group of girls through a prestigious Japanese high school.
- 1 Season 1
- 1.1 Miss Yukari [1.1]
- 1.2 Osaka's Day [1.2]
- 1.3 Nyamo [1.3]
- 1.4 Pool, Pool, Pool [1.4]
- 1.5 Summer Break [1.5]
- 1.6 Sports Fest [1.6]
- 1.7 Culture Fest [1.7]
- 1.8 New Year's Dream Special [1.8]
- 1.9 Miss Sakaki [1.9]
- 1.10 Second Year [1.10]
- 1.11 Kagura And Sakaki [1.11]
- 1.12 Chiyo's Day [1.12]
- 1.13 Exams [1.13]
- 1.14 The Ocean, Summer Kimonos, And A Party [1.14]
- 1.15 Sports Fest, Second Year [1.15]
- 1.16 Culture Fest, Second Year [1.16]
- 1.17 Osaka's Scary Stories [1.17]
- 1.18 Koyomi's Ordeals [1.18]
- 1.19 One Spring Night [1.19]
- 1.20 Third Year [1.20]
- 1.21 School Trip [1.21]
- 1.22 Entrance Exams Study Camp! [1.22]
- 1.23 Last Sports Fest in High School [1.23]
- 1.24 Yamamaya [1.24]
- 1.25 Onwards, Entrance Exams! [1.25]
- 1.26 Graduation Ceremony [1.26]
- 2 Azumanga Daioh: The Very Short Movie
- 3 Web Azumanga Daioh
- 4 Cast
- 5 External links
Miss Yukari [1.1]
- Yukari: Damn you, [bicycle] chain. I'll show you one day.
- Yukari: Hey, I said you could ask anything, but my measurements are top secret! Not that I'm ashamed, of course. In fact, I dare say they're pretty spectacular. Oh, you impetuous boy! Look what you made me say on the first day!
- Male Student: What I meant is that your class is next door. This is Class 4. [Yukari slithers away]
- Chiyo: I like that in high school we get to bring our own lunches. But it's hard getting up early to make it.
- Kaorin and Female Student: She makes it herself?
- [Chiyo opens her bento box.]
- Kaorin and Female Student: And it looks delicious!
- Kaorin: What is she? Miss Perfect? Superwoman?
- Female Student: Miss Sakaki is really cool, isn't she!
- Kaorin: Yeah, she's way better than any of the boys in our class!
- [Kaorin catches a glimpse of Sakaki's panties and the kitty on the back]
- Female Student: Kaorin?
- Kaorin: I just saw something cute...
- Tomo: Hold on! Sakaki, your boobs are 8cm bigger than mine, so step back 8cm!
- Kaorin: Hey! That's cheating!
- Yomi: Eight centimeters...
Osaka's Day [1.2]
- [Something seems to have caught Osaka's attention and she follows it around the classroom]
- Kaorin: Hey, wat'cha doing?
- Osaka: You know those tiny bubbles inside your eyes you sometimes catch?
- [Kaorin sits patiently waiting for the answer]
- Osaka: Yea I'm trackin' them down as we speak.
- Tomo: Sensei.
- Yukari: What? What's wrong?
- Tomo: I smashed that cockroach just now with my textbook.
- [Tomo's holds up her textbook which shows the smashed cockroach and walks closer to Yukari]
- Tomo: What should I do?
- [Yukari screams out of disgust]
- Yukari: Get away from me! GET AWAY! [She continues to scream]
- Yukari: BASKETBALL! Now is the basketball era! Come sweat with your teacher and live out your youth to its fullest potential!
- Yukari: We're Team Yukari!
- Tomo & Yomi: [unenthusiastically] Yay.
- Osaka: We're Team Sea Slug!
- Chiyo & Kaorin: What?!
- Chiyo: Osaka?
- Kaorin: But sea slugs are so... [pause]
- Osaka: Go Team Sea Slug!
- Chiyo & Kaorin: [even less enthusiastically] Yay.
Pool, Pool, Pool [1.4]
- Tomo: Kimura-sensei, why did you become a teacher?
- Kimura: BECAUSE I LIKE HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS THAT'S WHY!
- Mr. Kimura: Several of the water pipes that run through my house have been leaking quite a bit lately.
- Nyamo: Oh?
- Mr. Kimura: The rubber backing has probably grown very brittle and dried out. It tends to do that when it gets old you know.
- Nyamo: Sure, I Guess so.
- [long pause]
- Mr. Kimura: Have you grown brittle and dry...?
- Nyamo: THAT'S IT, YOU'RE OUT OF HERE!
- Tomo: Uh huh! Yomi's crazy flexible 'cause her body's made of almost nothing but fat!
- Yomi: DOUBLE CHOP!
- [Yomi hits Tomo over the back of the head]
- Yomi: Quit being so damn RUDE!
- [Tomo runs away, chased by Yomi]
- Tomo: Flabby! Hey, it jiggled!
- Yomi: DOUBLE CHOP!
- Tomo: Ooow...
- Nyamo: You two, quit messing around!
Summer Break [1.5]
- Tomo: That's right! We're stylin' and profilin'!
- Osaka: But don't you have boyfriends to show off your style to?
- [Tomo heaves a heavy sigh]
- Nyamo: So, I'll take three and Yukari will take two.
- Chiyo: Um... since Yukari-sensei's car looks a bit more spacious, why not put three people over there?
- Nyamo: Isn't it better for fewer people to die? [The girls gasp.]
- [After they arrive at Chiyo's sumer home]
- Yukari: We're here!
- [Yomi opens the door of the Yukari-mobile]
- Yomi: We were watching.
- [Osaka and Chiyo are trembling, visibly traumatized]
- Osaka: We're not afraid of rollercoasters anymore...after this...you know...
- Tomo: So, it's Nyamo's turn. Share some of your vast array of adult experiences.
- Nyamo: [very uncomfortable] Well, I'm single too, so i really don't have any of those stories.
- Tomo: Darn.
- Yukari: You weren't single last year. [Nyamo shakes a little]
Sports Fest [1.6]
- Yukari: Listen up, everyone! I have one word that I want to say to all of you. And that word is... FIRST PLACE!
- Chiyo and Osaka: [lined up for the three-legged race] Let's do it!
- [starting gun fires; the girls fall over]
- Chiyo: Let's take our time and count our steps, okay?
- Osaka: Okay, nice and slow.
- Chiyo and Osaka: One --! [they fall over again]
Culture Fest [1.7]
- Girl: Oh, Ms. Kurosawa!
- Nyamo: Tell me, how's it holding up?
- Girl: Well the thing is...
- Nyamo: Huh?
- [cuts to Kagura and Mr. Kimura]
- Mr. Kimura: What is going on here!
- Kagura: Going on, what do you mean!
- Mr. Kimura: This is inexcusable!
- Nyamo: Something wrong?
- Kagura: Yeah, this guy...
- Mr. Kimura: Oh, Ms. Kurosawa, I'm so glad you're here!
- Nyamo: Okay!
- Mr. Kimura: Please talk some sense into your girls Ms. Kurosawa. I mean don't you find it rather odd? This is the swim team's booth and no one's in a swim suit!
- Kagura & Nyamo: Uh...
- Mr. Kimura: Ugh... okay, I'll let the swimsuits go.
- Kagura: Yes sir!
- Mr. Kimura: I think I'd like a glass of pool water!
- Kagura: Sir?
- Mr. Kimura: POOL WATER! AS IN WATER FROM THE POOL THAT YOU GIRLS HAVE BEEN SWIMMING IN!
- Kagura: WHAT! We don't have any of that!
- Mr. Kimura: [deep sigh]
New Year's Dream Special [1.8]
- Osaka: Chiyo-chan, why are you flying?
- Chiyo: I'm ten years old!
- Sakaki: Excuse me, that thing we were talking about, where can I go to find a real cat?
- Chiyo's dad: A real cat? [He starts to glow, turning blue, purple and red.] Are you saying then that I am a fake cat?
- Sakaki: I'm sorry please forgive me.
- [He stops glowing.]
- Chiyo's dad: No, it is not that I am angry. I am not a fake. [He quickly glows red again and thrashes around in his chair] But do you mean to say that there are cats that are real AND ONES THAT ARE NOT?!
- Sakaki: Are you sure you're not angry?
Miss Sakaki [1.9]
- Osaka: Sakaki is absorbing something from you!
- Chiyo: Sakaki, did you take my height?
- Sakaki: Uh...no...
- Chiyo: You took it, right? You took it, right? You took it, right?...Give it back!
Second Year [1.10]
- Tomo: VIVA LA CLASS SHUFFLE!
- [Sakaki walks over to a black cat, trying to pet it]
- Kagura: [leaping in front of Sakaki's face] STUPID FURBALL!!! [the cat runs away] [laughing] That was great!
- [Sakaki slowly turns her head to face Kagura, her eyes hidden beneath her hair]
Kagura And Sakaki [1.11]
- [after the two guess names of flowers by the sidewalk]
- Kagura: Hey, Sakaki. That just now; was that a contest?
- [Sakaki looks at Kagura as if to say "no"]
Chiyo's Day [1.12]
- Chiyo: [narrating] Whenever I go to school, sometimes Sakaki joins me on my walks because she lives in the neighborhood.
- [Sakaki looks around and sees a kitty, then she chases after it without Chiyo noticing]
- Chiyo-chan: [Looks to where Sakaki was. Thinking to herself.] But sometimes she just dissappears all of a sudden and I don't know where she went. It's a mystery....
- Tomo: Hey, what are you guys acting so cool for?
- Osaka and Kagura: Huh?
- Tomo: Come on you two, say something back at her!
- Osaka and Kagura: Huh? [Pointing to Tomo] Knucklehead.
- Tomo: [Pronouncing with "s"] Knuckleheads.
- Osaka and Kagura: Oh. [To Yomi] Who you calling knucklehead?!
- Entire Class: It's not here.
- [camera cuts to Tomo, sitting wide-eyed; she drops her pencil]
The Ocean, Summer Kimonos, And A Party [1.14]
- [After Chiyo and Sakaki help everyone put their kimonos on.]
- Yukari: An adult being dressed by a child...
- Nyamo: You don't know how to put one on either!
- Tomo: I thought for sure you'd be able to, Nyamo.
- Yukari: [to the group] Isn't strange that Ms. Kurosawa here, who can tie a man's necktie, cannot put on her own kimono?
- Tomo: You can tie a necktie?!
- Yukari: The story begins long ago, when Ms. Nyamo was madly in love. This she-beast here used to practice doing neckties using me as her guinea pig!
- Nyamo: So what?!
- Yukari: Unfortunately, they broke up before she could show off her new skill. So her next ambition was-
- [Nyamo starts fighting with her before she can finish her sentence]
- Osaka: When you think about it rationally, you don't really need turtles.
- [After Sakaki wins the Nekokoneko.]
- Kagura: Wow, you totally killed that Nekokoneko! You hunter! You crazy sniper, you!
- Sakaki: [in tears] It's not dead... It's not dead...
- [The Morning After the Night Before, Nyamo style]
- Chiyo: That was interesting, but I'm a little confused. what did you mean by.... [the soundtrack goes silent as Chiyo mimes out certain very odd sexual references]
- Nyamo: What? Chiyo, who told you about that?
- Yukari:You did
- [The other girls walk in, Sakaki blushes awkwardly, and the other three bow in deep respect.]
- Tomo: Thank you very much, sensei!
- Osaka: That was very informative.
- Kagura: [worshipfully] I'm so proud of you, Coach.
- Nyamo: WHAT THE HELL DID I DO?
Sports Fest, Second Year [1.15]
- [The girls wonder who would marry a man like Kimura.]
- Tomo: I bet if she married Kimura she has a really bad personality.
- Yukari: On the contrary! I hear that Kimura's wife is so sweet and gentle that she is willing to put up with that!
- Tomo: [awestruck] Is she some kind of angel?
- [Tomo, Yumi, Yukari and Chiyo look up as the background turns white and watches Kimura's Wife fly around as an angel.]
Culture Fest, Second Year [1.16]
- Osaka: There will be lots of cute cats and dogs in the Cafe... and they're all dead. [The other girls groan.]
- Kagura: I'm Kagura! The fact that I'm 156 centimeters tall has nothing to do with the Culture Fest!
- Sakaki: I'm, Sakaki... [The on-screen picture indicates that Sakaki is 174 cm tall, an unusual height for a Japanese girl]
- Kimura: IT'S REALLY, REALLY CUTE!
Osaka's Scary Stories [1.17]
- Yukari: Listen up! I'm tired of just being an English teacher, so today I'm teaching you kids Math!
- Yomi: Math, huh?
- [Yukari leafs through the Math textbook, can't find a lesson she understands, and screams.]
- Yukari: We're doing P.E.! Everybody outside.
- Yukari: We're playing soccer!
- Yomi: Sure, but do you even know the rules?
- Yukari: I'm Nakata! [a player on Japan's national team -- the dub uses American women's international Mia Hamm.]
- Yomi: What?
- Yukari: My position is Nakata!
- Yukari: [ecstatic at having scored] GOAL! GOAL! GOOOOAL!
- Yomi: Sensei, that was our goal.
- Yukari: Actually, I'm a spy for the other team.
- Yomi: Whatever.
- Kagura: Hey, does Chiyo-chan...
- Tomo: Huh?
- Kagura: ...Still believe in Santa Claus?
- Tomo: Well, should I ask her?
- [Tomo Walks over to Chiyo]]
- Tomo: Chiyo-Chan, are you one of those people that still believes in Santa Claus?
- Chiyo: I know that Santa is my father.
- Sakaki: Santa... is her father?
- [Sakaki's imagination overwhelms her and we get to see the results.]
- Chiyo-chichi: Merry Krismasu!
- Chiyo: Yay! My father is Santa!
- Chiyo-chichi: Yes. The government pays me to deliver presents to all the children in Japan!
- Chiyo: Amazing!
- Chiyo-chichi: And I can fly at Mach 100!
- Chiyo: Amazing, amazing!
- Kagura: Now, if we accept that Santa doesn't exist -- do reindeer exist?
- Tomo: [after a bout of explosive laughter] This girl believes in reindeer! [Continues laughing, the other girls gasp.]
- Yomi: Reindeer do exist.
- Osaka: I think that when Christmas time comes...
- Chiyo: Yes?
- Osaka: There's a red-nosed reindeer. That's mean. "Your shining nose is useful in the fog..." The way he said it doesn't help at all. If you tell a bald man his head is useful in the dark, you'd get punched in the face. Santa Claus says such cruel things.
- Chiyo: [Has no idea what Osaka is talking about.] Uh, yeah...
Koyomi's Ordeals [1.18]
- [Tomo tells Yukari about Yomi eating all you can eat snow crab]
- Yukari: In Hokkaido?! Snow Crab??!! ALL YOU CAN EAT???!!!
- Tomo: [crying] It was all Yomi. All Yomi.
- Yomi: [To Tomo] You actually got her...
- [Yukari slaps Yomi with a notebook]
- [Tomo stands in front of a vending machine and buys a milk-tea]
- Tomo: [looking into the vending machine, which pours the tea with no cup] Oh, no! The cup! My-my milk tea!
- [seconds later]
- Yomi: [holding a cup of milk-tea] What the... two cups...?
- [Tomo looks on in shock, then bawls and runs around in circles]
One Spring Night [1.19]
Third Year [1.20]
- Kagura: Chiyo-Chan's studying abroad! Amazing!
- Tomo: Amazing!
- Chiyo: No... really...
- Tomo: Mm. She's gonna die.
- Chiyo: Ahh!
- Osaka: Mm. You know, 'cause your family's rich and you're so tiny. [she suddenly grabs Chiyo by the pigtails] And you're easy to catch!
School Trip [1.21]
- Yukari: Our school trip is coming up next month. You look excited, Chiyo-chan.
- [Chiyo giggles merrily]
- Yukari: Actually, it's been canceled.
- [Taking roll at the airport, Yukari style.]
- Yukari: All right, is everybody here? If you're not here, raise your hand! Just kidding!
- Tomo: I'm not here!
- Yukari: But you are!
- Tomo: [holding up a box of cookies]. Chinsuko.
- [She holds the box in front of Yomi proudly.]
- Tomo: It's chinsuko! it's chinsuko!
- [Yomi blushes, annoyed. The way Tomo is saying it makes it sound like "penis" (Chinpoko)]
- Osaka: [Pointing at a mounted Iriomote cat at a museum.] Yamapikarya! [Points to a real Iriomote cat] Yamapikarya!
- Chiyo: I guess he'll look like that when he grows up too, huh.
- Osaka: And then he'll look like that.....
- [Sakaki and Chiyo's expressions change to open-mouthed horror as Osaka points at a skeleton.]
- Osaka: Nice and bony.
Entrance Exams Study Camp! [1.22]
- [while running a red light]
- Tomo: Hey! What are you stopping for?
- Yukari and Tomo: [Tomo stretches her face and sticks out her tongue as Yukari motions as if honking her horn] Loser! Loser!
- Kaorin: [pointing ahead with a horrified expression] IT'S RED!!!
- [Yukari, Tomo, and Kaorin scream offscreen]
- Osaka: Ooh. They're flyin'.
- Tomo: [jumps in front of Kaorin's camera] Cheese!
- [long pause]
- Kaorin: [jumping off the deck] Dammit! Whoa. [screams offscreen]
- Osaka: Whoa. She's flyin'.
Last Sports Fest in High School [1.23]
- Osaka: The Frenchman Mr. Tadakichi and the Japanese Chiyo-chan coming to America. It'll be hard to tell who's the foreigner there.
- Chiyo: Miss Osaka sure is interesting.
- Tomo: Are you sure it's safe to leave that cat alone with Mr. Tadakichi? He might get eaten!
- Chiyo: It's not a problem. Mr. Tadakachichi is much too big to --
- Kagura: [reading a guidebook] Iriomote cats have been known to kill and eat wild boars.
- Chiyo: [panicked by this sudden revelation] We've got to hurry!
Onwards, Entrance Exams! [1.25]
- Osaka: What ya'll doin'?
- Tomo: Just quizzing Chiyo-chan here. What kind of bird is always avoiding the police?
- Osaka: A Rook. [in the japanese, it is a heron, which is a pun on the Japanese word for "fraud"]
- [Tomo and Chiyo are both taken aback she got it so quickly]
- Tomo: All right then -- who built Osaka Castle?
- Osaka: The carpenter.
- Tomo: If Nihongo is Japanese, what is Eigo?
- Osaka: Still Japanese. [Eigo is the Japanese name of English]
- Tomo: An eggplant, a watermelon and a radish are on a truck which takes a steep curve. What drops?
- Osaka: The speed.
- Tomo and Chiyo You're amazing!!
- Osaka: Did I say something?
Graduation Ceremony [1.26]
- [Kagura picks up a desk.]
- Kagura: Would it be bad if I took one of the desks home?
- Yukari: Yes, it would be bad.
Azumanga Daioh: The Very Short Movie
Web Azumanga Daioh
- Character - Japanese - English
- Chiyo Mihama - Tomoko Kaneda - Chiyokoma Kabaso
- Tomo Takino - Chieko Higuchi - Brian Esler
- Koyomi Mizuhara - Rie Tanaka - Nancy Novotny
- Sakaki - Yu Asakawa - Hamish Strachan
- Kagura - Houko Kuwashima - Allison Sumrall
- Yukari Tanizaki - Akiko Hiramatsu - Luci Christian
- Minamo Kurosawa - Aya Hisakawa - Monica Rial