Battle Royale (film)
Battle Royale (or Batoru rowaiaru) is a 2000 film about 42 ninth-graders taken to an island, given random weapons, and forced to kill each other until one survivor remains as part of a government program. To ensure their cooperation, they've been fitted with explosive collars that explode when they break a rule.
- Directed by Kinji Fukasaku. Written by Kenta Fukasaku and Koshun Takami, based on the 1999 novel of the same name by Koushun Takami.
- What's wrong with killing? Everybody's got their reasons.
- There's a way out of this game. Kill yourselves together, here, now. If you can't do that, then don't trust anyone... just run.
- So today's lesson is: you kill each other off... 'till there's only one left. Nothing's against the rules.
Training Video Girl
- We have randomly selected weapons to put in your kits, so you might get lucky, and you might not. (picks up axe) This one is SUPER lucky.
- Kyouichi Motobuchi: If I survive, can I go home?
- Teacher Kitano: Yes, but only if everyone else is dead.
- Hiroki Sugimura: I've been in love with you for a long, long time...
- Kayoko Kotohiki: [cries] What am I supposed to do now?
- Mitsuko Souma: Die.
- Shinji Mimura: How did we get chosen?
- Teacher Kitano: By impartial lottery.
- Mimura: Another.
- Kitano: Yes?
- Mimura: Why are you making us do this?
- Kitano: It's your own damn fault. You guys mock grownups. Go ahead and mock us, but don't you forget- life is a game. So fight for survival, and find out if you're worth it.
- [Shogo has just finished bandaging Noriko's leg]
- Shuya Nanahara: You know a lot about medicine.
- Shogo Kawada: Well, my father was a doctor.
- Shogo Kawada: [Noriko wakes up abruptly] You okay?
- Noriko Nakagawa: I had a dream...
- Kawada: What dream?
- Nakagawa: I was alone with Kitano on an empty riverbank.
- Kawada: Must've been scary.
- Nakagawa: But Kitano just seemed lonely.
- Kawada: Hmmm.
- Nakagawa: Before this, I always just thought of myself as normal. I'd have a normal marriage, age normally, just like my mom... but when this game started, I realized - it's just that I was sheltered.
- Kawada: Some things are better not to know.
- Shogo Kawada: Meeting you guys, I finally solved the riddle of Keiko's smile.
- Noriko Nakagawa: What's the answer?
- Shogo Kawada: Her parting words - Thank you - and then...
- Shuya Nanahara: And then? [Kawada drops his cigarette] Kawada!
- Nakagawa: Kawada!
- Kawada: And then - I'm glad I found true friends.
- Could you kill your best friend?
- One Dead. 41 To Go.
- 42 Students, Three Days, One Survivor, No Rules.
- Today, I killed my best friend.
- Have you ever killed your best friend?
- Tatsuya Fujiwara — Shuya Nanahara (Boy #15)
- Aki Maeda — Noriko Nakagawa (Girl #15)
- Taro Yamamoto — Shogo Kawada (Boy #5)
- Chiaki Kuriyama — Takako Chigusa (Girl #13)
- Kou Shibasaki — Mitsuko Souma (Girl #11)
- Beat Takeshi — Teacher Kitano