Bend It Like Beckham
Bend It Like Beckham is a 2002 British film (released in the United States in March 2003) about two young London women from different backgrounds who share an aptitude for football (soccer) and pressure from their families to conform.
- Mrs. Bhamra: Your sister's getting engaged and you're sitting here watching this skinhead boy!
- Jess: Mum, it's Beckham's corner!
- Joe: Where do you normally play?
- Jess: In the park.
- Joe: No... I meant what position?
- Jess: I'm sorry I missed that penalty, coach.
- Joe: It's okay, losing to the Jerries on penalties comes natural to you English. You're part of tradition now!
- [explaining to Joe how she got the large burn scar on her thigh that makes her shy of wearing shorts]
- Jess: I was eight. My mum was working overtime at Heathrow. And I was trying to cook beans on toast. And I jumped up to the grill to get the toast. And my trousers caught light so my sister put me in the bath, poured cold water over me and pulled them off. And half my skin came off too.
- Joe: Sorry.
- Jess: I know - it put me off beans on toast for life.
- Joe: Look, Jess. I saw it. She fouled you. She tugged your shirt. You just overreacted, that's all.
- Jess: That's not all. She called me a Paki. But I guess that's something you wouldn't understand.
- Joe: Jess, I'm Irish. Of course I understand what that feels like.
- Paula: That's why she's been so depressed lately cos' that Jess broke her heart! She's in love. With a girl!
- Alan Paxton: You're jumping to all the wrong conclusions
- Paula: But I heard her! No wonder she never looked twice at the Kevin or brought any boys home. I tried to get her nice clothes, you know we've had some lovely prints in this summer you know in swimwear and sarongs and that. She never wants to go shopping with me. It was terrible what they did to that George Michael going on about him and his private business in the papers like that! Oh No!
- Alan Paxton: George Michael is still a superstar and you still listen to Wham!
- Tony: Look, Jessie. You can't plan who you fall for. It just happens. I mean, look at... Posh and Becks.
- Jess: Well, Beckham's the best.
- Tony: [chuckles] Yeah! I really like Beckham too.
- Jess: Well of course you do. No one can cross a ball or bend it like Beckham
- Tony: [shakes head] No, Jess. I really like Beckham.
- Jess: What? You mean... [incredulous scoff] But you're Indian!
- Jess: Why are you doing this to me, Joe? Every time I talk myself out of it, you come around and make it sound so easy.
- Joe: I guess I don't want to give up on you.
- Joe: You're lucky... to have a family that cares that much about you. I can understand you don't want to mess with it.
- Jess: Joe...
- Joe: And I don't fancy being busted by your dad again. You better get back.
- Jules: Me and Jess were fighting because we both fancy our coach... Joe.
- Paula: [pause] Joe, a man, Joe?
- Jules: [exasperated] Yeah, as in male, Joe! Joe, our coach, Joe, man, Joe!
- Jules: Anyway being a lesbian's not that big a deal
- Paula: Oh no of course not sweetheart no. I mean I've got nothing against it. I was cheering for Martina Navratilova as much as the next person.
- Jess: Joe! I'm going! They said I could go!
- [Joe & Jess hug tightly]
- Men in Background: Oi, oi, oi!
- Jess: I'm sorry, I forgot.
- Joe: That's okay now. I'm not your coach anymore. We can do what we want.
- [Joe leans in to kiss Jess. Jess wants to, but pulls back]
- Jess: Joe...
- Joe: Your dad's not here, is he?
- Jess: Joe... I'm sorry.
- Joe: What?
- Jess: I can't
- Joe: Can I ask why?
- Jess: Letting me go to America is a big step for my mum and dad. I don't know how they'd survive if I told them about you too.
- Joe: I understand
- [Both sorrowfully hug each other tightly]
- Joe: Look, I can't let you go without knowing.
- Jess: What?
- Joe: That even with the distance, and it concerns your family, we might still have something. Don't you think?
- Who wants to cook Aloo Gobi when you can bend a ball like Beckham?
- A winning comedy.
- Don't call Them Chicks!
- An Indian girl born to play soccer for England.
- Sometimes, to follow your dreams... you've got to bend the rules!
- Parminder Nagra — Jessminder "Jess" Bhamra
- Keira Knightley — Juliette "Jules" Paxton
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers — Joe
- Juliet Stevenson — Paula Paxton
- Frank Harper - Alan Paxton
- Ameet Chana - Tony
- Anupam Kher — Mrs. Bhamra
- Anupam Kher - Mr. Bhamra
- Archie Panjabi - Pinky Bhamra
- Shaznay Lewis - Mel