Brigadoon (1947) was a Broadway musical play written by Alan Jay Lerner (script and lyrics) and Frederick Loewe (music) which opened March 13, 1947; in 1954 a motion picture version directed by Vincente Minnelli was released. Both play and film are about two American hunters who stumble into a mysterious Scottish village that doesn't appear on any map.
Jeff Douglas 
- "Well, most of my friends who have inferiority complexes are absolutely right. They're NOT as good as everybody else!"
- "If they want to disregard two hundred years of human bing-bang, that's their privilege."
- "There's nothing a woman hates more than her fiancee's best friend. He knows all the secrets she's going to spend the rest of her life trying to find out."
- "You're confused, aren't you, boy? If you believed as much as you thought you believed, you wouldn't be confused."
- "If you scratch the surface of any woman, she'll like it!"
Mr. Lundie 
- "It's the hardest thing in the world to give everything. Though it's usually the only way to get everything."
- "I told you if you love someone deeply enough anything is possible. Even... miracles?"
- "Why do people have to lose things to find out what they really mean?" ~ Tommy Albright
- "You'll never find peace by hating, lad! It only shuts ye off more from the world! And this town is only a cursed place, if ye make it so! To the rest of us, 'tis a blessed place!" ~ Andrew McLarren
- Jeff Douglas: Frank, put it on the bill.
- Bartender (Frank): The bill, sir, is very high.
- Jeff Douglas: So am I!
- Tommy Albright: [in a crowded bar] It's hot in here.
- Jeff Douglas: It's not the heat, it's the humanity.
- Meg Brockie: I'm highly attracted to ye. Why, when I look at ye, I feel wee tadpoles jumping in my spine.
- Jeff Douglas: That's about as repulsive an idea as I've heard in years!
- Jeff Douglas: Can you think of one good reason why I, a strange man, should be interested in proposing to you, a mighty strange woman, and at this hour of the day?
- Meg Brockie: Because you're a lad and I'm a lass!
- Jeff Douglas: Well, with that philosophy you must have had a provacative career!
- Mr. Lundie: They were indeed horrible, destructive women. I dinna suppose you have such women in your country?
- Tommy Albright: Witches?
- Jeff Douglas: Oh, we have 'em. We pronounce it differently.
- Van Johnson - Jeff Douglas
- Gene Kelly - Tommy Albright
- Cyd Charisse - Fiona Campbell
- Barry Jones - Mr. Lundie
- Dodie Heath - Meg Brackie