William Byrd (between 1534 and 1543 – 4 July 1623) was an English composer and poet.
Poem: Care for Thy Soul as Thing of Greatest Price  
- Care for thy soul as thing of greatest price,
Made to the end to taste of power divine,
Devoid of guilt, abhorring sin and vice
- Care for thy corse, but chiefly for soul's sake;
Cut off excess, sustaining food is best;
To vanquish pride but comely clothing take
- Care in such sort that thou be sure of this:
Care keep thee not from heaven and heavenly bliss.
Poem: The Faithless Shepherdess  
- So long as I was in your sight
I was your heart, your soul, your treasure;
And evermore you sobb'd and sigh'd
Burning in flames beyond all measure:
--Three days endured your love to me,
And it was lost in other three!
- Sure you have made me passing glad
That you your mind so soon removed,
Before that I the leisure had
To choose you for my best beloved
External links