Cape Fear (1991 film)
Cape Fear is a 1991 film about a convicted rapist, released from prison after serving a 14 year sentence, who stalks the family of the lawyer who originally defended him. It is a remake of the 1962 film of the same name.
- Directed by Martin Scorsese. Written by Wesley Strick, based on the 1962 screenplay by James R. Webb, which was an adaptation from the novel The Executioners by John D. MacDonald.
Max Cady 
- It's not necessary to lay a foul tongue on me my friend. I could get upset. Things could get out of hand. Then in self defense, I could do something to you that you would not like, right here.
- Every man... every man has to go through hell to reach paradise.
- Counselor? Counselor, is that you? Counselor, come out, come out, wherever you are! I ain't no white trash piece of shit. I'm better than you all! I can out-learn you. I can out-reach you. I can out-think you. And I can out-philosophize you. And I'm gonna outlast you. You think a couple whacks to my good ol' boy guts is gonna get me down? It's gonna take a hell of a lot more than that, Counselor, to prove you're better than me! I am like God, and God like me. I am as large as God. He is as small as I. He cannot above me, nor I beneath Him be. Silesius, 17th Century. Counselor? Counselor, could you be there? Could you be there? [He whistles] Counselor. I wonder if you're here. Ah, fuck it.
- [to Sam Bowden] I am going to teach you the meaning of commitment. Fourteen years ago I was forced to make a commitment to an eight by nine cell, now you are going to be forced to make a commitment. You could say I'm here to save you.
Danielle Bowden 
- My reminiscence. I always thought that for such a lovely river the name is mystifying: "Cape Fear". When the only thing to fear on those enchanted summer nights was that the magic would end and real life would come crashing in.
- If you hold on to the past, you die a little each day...
- We never spoke about what happened, at least not to each other. Fear, I suppose, that to remember his name and what he did would mean letting him into our dreams. And me, I hardly dream about him anymore. Still, things won't ever be the way they were before he came. But that's alright because if you hang onto the past you die a little every day. And for myself, I know I'd rather live. [whispers] The end.
- Max Cady: [smiling, after grabbing the keys from the car] Free as a bird. You go wherever you want with whomever.
- Sam Bowden: I'd like my keys back please.
- Max Cady: Could it be you don't remember me?
- Sam Bowden: I remember you. You were at the movies the other night.
- Max Cady: I'm disappointed. I'm hurt.
- Sam Bowden: I would like my keys.
- Max Cady: Max Cady. You look the same. Maybe 15 pounds heavier. But they say the average man gains a pound a year till he's about... Come on. Gains a pound a year till he's about 60. Me? I dropped a pound every year in my sentence.
- Sam Bowden: Atlanta. July 1977?
- Max Cady: You got it. [looks at keys] Fourteen years since I held a set of keys.
- Judge:Let me quote our great Negro educator, Mr. Booker T. Washington."I will let no man drag me down so low... "...as to make me hate him."
- Lieutenant Elgart: So what happened, your wife let the dog out and Cady abducted him and...
- Sam Bowden: No, my wife didn't let the dog out.
- Lieutenant Elgart: So he came into the house? Now that's illegal entry...
- Sam Bowden: No, he didn't come into the house either. Now look, I'm not a cop, I don't know how he did it, all I know is that he DID it.
- Max Cady: Are you my friend? Are you my friend?
- Claude Kersek: No I'm not your friend.
- Max Cady: Well, see, I like to plan my comings and goings with friends, so if you're planning my comings and goings I'd call that presumptuous, in fact I'd call it downright rude.
- Max Cady: I'm Virgil and I'm guidin' you through the gates of Hell. We are now in the Ninth Circle, the Circle of Traitors. Traitors to country! Traitors to fellow man! Traitors to GOD! You, sir, are charged with betrayin' the principles of all three! Quote for me the American Bar Association's Rules of Professional Conduct, Canon Seven.
- Sam Bowden: "A lawyer should represent his client... "
- Max Cady: "Should ZEALOUSLY represent his client within the bounds of the law." I find you guilty, counselor! Guilty of betrayin' your fellow man! Guilty of betrayin' your country and abrogatin' your oath! Guilty of judgin' me and sellin' me out! With the power vested in me by the kingdom of God, I sentence you to the Ninth Circle of Hell! Now you will learn about loss! Loss of freedom! Loss of humanity! Now you and I will truly be the same...
- There is nothing in the dark that isn't there in the light. Except fear.
- Sam Bowden has always provided for his family's future. But the past is coming back to haunt them.
- Robert De Niro - Max Cady
- Nick Nolte - Sam Bowden
- Jessica Lange - Leigh Bowden
- Juliette Lewis - Danielle Bowden
- Joe Don Baker - Claude Kersek
- Robert Mitchum - Lt. Elgart
- Gregory Peck - Lee Heller
- Martin Balsam - Judge
- Illeana Douglas - Lori Davis
- Fred Thompson - Tom Broadbent
- Zully Montero - Graciella