Children of Men
Children of Men is a 2006 dystopian science fiction film loosely based off of P.D. James' 1992 novel The Children of Men. Taking place in the United Kingdom in a future stricken with mass human infertility, it centers around the efforts to secretly smuggle a woman who is, miraculously, pregnant from London to an offshore science team working to save humanity from extinction.
- Your baby is the miracle the whole world has been waiting for.
- So why bother if life’s gonna make its own choices?
- Poor fugees. After escaping the worst atrocities and making it to England, our government hunts them down like cockroaches.
- Are we uh, planning a singalong? Good. I'm going to take a nap.
- At least with a hangover , I feel something.
- Baby Diego was a wanker
- I can't really remember when I last had any hope, and I certainly can't remember when anyone else did either. Because really, since women stopped being able to have babies, what's left to hope for?.
- There's something in your teeth (Clive Owen said the same thing in "The International".)
- Same as every other day. Woke up, felt like shit. Went to work, felt like shit.
- At least with a hangover I feel something.
- Even if they discovered the cure for infertility, it doesn't matter. It's too late. The world went to shit
- As the sound of the playgrounds faded, the despair set in. Very odd, what happens in a world without children's voices.
- I was there at the end
- I had a sister...
- I’d forgotten what they look like. They’re so beautiful. They’re so tiny.
- This baby is the flag that will unite us all.
- Julian was wrong! She said it could be peaceful. But how can it be peaceful when they try to take away your dignity?!
- Day 1,000 of the Siege of Seattle.
The Muslim community demands an end to the Army's occupation of mosques.
The Homeland Security bill is ratified. After eight years, British borders will remain closed. The deportation of illegal immigrants will continue. Good morning. Our lead story.
- Luke: When did they leave?
- Jasper: Pull my finger ... Pull my finger ... Ok, I'll do it.
- [Luke shoots Jasper's finger off]
- Jasper: Fuck you.
- Patric: This never fucking happened. Don't go telling tales, cause' we'll be watching you. At work. When you sleep. When you have a piss we'll be watching. All the fucking time.
- Theo: Jeez, your breath stinks.
- Patric: No it doesn't.
- Theo: Yes it does.
- [Theo is woken up by Kee in the car]
- Kee: Hey! You're snoring.
- Theo: No I wasn't.
- Julian: Yes you were. He always snored.
- Theo: Anyone know if there's a hotel around here?
- Luke: ... What??
- Theo: Julian promised me a little bit of action.
- Julian: You still like it in the afternoon?
- Theo: So what did you do? Blow up a building? Rob a train?
- Kee: You told me he was suave.
- Julian: He's
- Jasper: Everything is a mythical, cosmic battle between faith and chance.
- [offers Miriam a joint]
- Miriam: Maybe I shouldn't.
- Jasper: You already did. Take another one ... Now cough. What do you taste?
- Miriam: Strawberries!
- Jasper: Strawberries? That's what it's called: Strawberry Cough!
- Kee: Wicked!
- Jasper: So. You've got faith over here, right? And chance over there.
- Miriam: Like yin and yang.
- Jasper: Sort of.
- Miriam: Or Shiva and Shakti.
- Jasper: Lennon and McCartney!
- Kee: [looking at pictures] Look, Julian and Theo.
- Jasper: Yeah, there you go! Julian and Theo met among a million protestors in a rally by chance. But they were there because of what they believed in in the first place, their faith. They wanted to change the world. And their faith kept them together. But by chance, Dylan was born.
- Kee: [picks up another photo] This is him?
- Jasper: Yeah, that's him. He'd have been about your age. Magical child. Beautiful. Their faith put in praxis.
- Miriam: "Praxis"? What happened?
- Jasper: Chance. He was their sweet little dream. He had little hands, little legs, little feet. Little lungs. And in 2008, along came the flu pandemic. And then, by chance, he was gone. You see, Theo's faith lost out to chance. So, why bother if life's going to make its own choices?
- Kee: Baby's got Theo's eyes.
- Jasper: Yeah.
- Miriam: Oh, boy. That's terrible. But, you know, everything happens for a reason.
- Jasper: That, I don't know. But Theo and Julian would always bring Dylan. He loved it here.
- British Soldier: [As Theo carries Kee's baby through a vicious firefight] Move back, fucking move back! [Sees the baby, and lowers his weapon] STOP!! CEASE FIRE!!! CEASE FIRING!