City of Angels
City of Angels is a 1998 film about an angel watching over Los Angeles who begins finding his job difficult as he falls in love with a beautiful heart surgeon. She becomes interested in him, and soon his not-quite-mortal state seems a barrier rather than a gift. A choice must be made between celestial duty and earthly love. It is a remake of Wim Wenders' 1987 German film Wings of Desire, which was set in Berlin.
- Directed by Brad Silberling. Written by Dana Stevens, Wim Wenders, Peter Handke, and Richard Reitinger.
 Maggie Rice
- Something happened in that room. I got this jolt that... something bigger is out there. Something bigger than me, bigger than you. Does that sound crazy?
- No dying yet, Mr. Messinger. Not until you give me Seth's phone number.
- We fight for people’s lives, right? Do you ever wonder who it is we're fighting with?
- [to Seth] When they ask me what I liked best, I'll tell them, it was you.
- I don't understand a God who would let us meet, if there's no way we could ever be together.
- That doctor in the operating room. She stared right at me.
- Some things are true whether you believe in them or not.
- Nathaniel Messinger: [to Seth] I can't see you, but I know you're there.
- Ann: Never date a guy who knows more about your vagina than you do.
- Susan: What good would wings be if you couldn't feel the wind on your face?
- Susan: Where are we going?
- Seth: Home.
- Susan: Can Mommy come?
- Seth: No.
- Susan: She won't understand.
- Seth: She will someday.
- Seth: Can I ask you something?
- Susan: Yes?
- Seth: What did you like best?
- Susan: Pajamas.
- Seth: The little girl asked if she could be an angel.
- Cassiel: They all want wings.
- Seth: I never know what to say.
- Cassiel: Tell them the truth. Angels aren't human. We were never human.
- Seth: What if I just make her a little pair of wings out of paper?
- Maggie: Are you a visitor? Who are you visiting?
- Seth: You.
- Maggie: He should have lived.
- Seth: He is living. Just not the way you think.
- Maggie: I don't ... believe in ... that.
- Seth: Some things are true whether you believe them or not.
- Seth: Hello Maggie! It's nice to see you again.
- Maggie: It's weird to see you again.
- Seth: Weird is nice.
- Maggie: Why do you wear the same clothes all the time? Why won't you give me your phone number? Are you married?
- Seth: No.
- Maggie: Are you homeless?
- Seth: No.
- Maggie: Are you a drummer?
- Seth: You're a good doctor.
- Maggie: How do you know?
- Seth: I have a feeling.
- Maggie: Yeah, well that's pretty flimsy evidence.
- Seth: Close your eyes. Just for a second... what am I doing?
- Maggie: You're... touching me.
- Seth: How do you know?
- Maggie: Because I feel it.
- Seth: You should trust that. You don't trust it enough.
- Seth: Why do people cry?
- Maggie: What do you mean?
- Seth: I mean... what happens physically?
- Maggie: Well... umm... tear ducts operate on a normal basis to lubricate and protect the eye and when you have an emotion they overreact and create tears.
- Seth: Why? Why do they overreact?
- Maggie: [pause] I don't know.
- Seth: Maybe... maybe emotion becomes so intense your body just can't contain it. Your mind and your feelings become too powerful... and your body weeps.
- Seth: Let's go.
- Maggie: Where?
- Seth: Anywhere.
- Maggie: What'll we do?
- Seth: Anything.
- Nathaniel: Listen, kid: He gave these bozos the greatest gift in the universe - you think He didn't give it to us, too?
- Seth: Which gift?
- Nathaniel: Free will, brother. Free will.
- Seth: What's that like? What's it taste like? Describe it like Hemingway.
- Maggie: Well, it tastes like a pear. You don't know what a pear tastes like?
- Seth: I don't know what a pear tastes like to you.
- Maggie: Sweet, juicy, soft on your tongue, grainy like a sugary sand that dissolves in your mouth. How's that?
- Seth: It's perfect.
- Nathaniel: Seth knows no fear, no pain, no hunger, he hears music in the sunrise. But he'd give it all up, he loves you that much.
- Maggie: I don't understand.
- Nathaniel: He can fall, he can give up eternity and become... one of us, human.
- Maggie: How do you know so much?
- Nathaniel: Because... I did it.
- Mack Truck driver: Where are you headed?
- Seth: Tahoe!
- Mack Truck driver: Reno.
- Seth: Tahoe!
- Mack Truck driver: I'm going to Reno!
- Seth: I'm going to Tahoe!
- Mack Truck driver: Well, hop in, we'll figure it out when we get there.
- Maggie: What happened?
- Seth: Free will.
- Seth: Why did He do this?
- Cassiel: I don't know.
- Seth: Am I being punished?
- Cassiel: You know better than that.
- Cassiel: If you knew what was going to happen, would you still have done it?
- Seth: I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss of her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. Just one.
- She didn't believe in angels until she fell in love with one.
- What if angels walked amoung us, and one of them fell in love with us?
- Nicolas Cage - Seth
- Meg Ryan - Dr. Maggie Rice
- Andre Braugher - Cassiel
- Dennis Franz - Nathaniel Messinger
- Colm Feore - Jordan Ferris
- Robin Bartlett - Anne
- Joanna Merlin - Teresa Messinger
- Sarah Dampf - Susan