(Redirected from City of Bones)
Cassandra Clare is the pseudonym of the author of the young adult trilogy The Mortal Instruments. Prior to publishing City of Bones, Clare wrote fan fiction under the pseudonym Cassandra Claire.
City of Bones (2007) 
- "Meanwhile," Simon added, "I wanted to tell you that lately I've been cross-dressing. Also, I'm sleeping with your mom. I thought you should know."
- Simon to Clary, pg. 6
- "What?" Simon looked alarmed. "I'm not really sleeping with your mom, you know. I was just trying to get your attention. Not that your mom isn't a very attractive woman, for her age."
- Simon, pg. 7
- "I don't know what your talking about." the blue-haired boy's tone was pained but surly.
- "He means demons," Said the dark haired boy speaking for the first time. " You do know what a demon is, don't you?"
- Alec and demon pg. 10
- "It's a girl," Jace said , recovering his composure. "Surely you've seen girls before, Alec. Your sister Isabelle is one."
- Jace to Alec, pg. 12
- "Hi, I'm one of the knife-carrying hooligans you met last night in Pandemonium? I'm afraid I made a bad impression and was hoping you'd give me a chance to make it up to- "
"SIMON!" Clary held the phone away from her ear as he cracked up laughing. "That is so not funny!"
- Simon and Clary, pg. 19
- "Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
- Luke and Simon, pg. 28
- "I'll get the coffee if you find us a seat. What do you want?"
"Just coffee. Black - like my soul."
- Simon and Clary, pg. 36
- "Do you want to tell me what this is about, or should I just call the police?"
"And tell them what?" Jace said witheringly. "That invisible people are bothering you? Trust me, little girl, the police aren't going to arrest someone they can't see."
- Clary and Jace, pg. 41
- "I was laughing at you because declarations of love amuse me, especially when unrequited,"
- Jace to Clary, pg. 41
- "Is there anything I could get for you?" he asked. "Something to drink? Some tea?"
"I don't want tea," said Clary, with a muffled force. "I want to find my mother. And then I want to find out who took her in the first place, and I want to kill them."
"Unfortunately," said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."
- Hodge and Clary, pg. 75
- "Just because you call an electric eel a rubber duck doesn't make it a rubber duck, does it? And God help the poor bastard who decides they want to take a bath with the duckie."
- Jace to Clary, pg. 83
- "You guessed? You must have been pretty sure, considering you could have killed me."
"I was ninety percent sure."
"I see," Clary said.
There must have been something in her voice, because he turned to look at her. Her hand cracked across his face, a slap that rocked him back on his heels. He put his hand to his cheek, more in surprise than pain. "What the hell was that for?"
"The other ten percent."
- Clary and Jace, pg. 85
- "I figured all your classes were stuff like Slaughter 101 and Beheading for Beginners."
- Clary to Jace, pg. 100
- "Well there goes my plan for selling them on eBay," Clary muttered.
"Selling them on what?"
Clary smiled blandly at him. "A mythical place of great magical power."
- Clary and Jace, pg. 101-102
- "If you were half as funny as you thought you were, my boy, you'd be twice as funny as you are."
- Madame Dorothea to Jace, pg. 102
- "I've never asked, but I'm sure he has a fairly stringent policy about random teenagers lurking in his shrubbery."
- Clary to Simon, pg. 114
- "Yeah, well, you clearly also couldn't be bothered to call me and tell me you were shacking up with some dyed-blond wanna-be goth you probably met at Pandemonium. After I spent the past three days wondering if you were dead."
"I was not shacking up," Clary said, glad of the darkness as the blood rushed to her face.
"And my hair is naturally blond," said Jace. "Just for the record."
- Simon, Clary, and Jace, pg. 115
- "He's probably never met a six-foot-tall hot elf-woman in a fur bikini, either,"
- Clary to Simon, pg. 118
- "I thought it'd be something cooler, like a van with 'Death to Demons' painted on the outside, or . . ."
- Simon to Jace, pg. 132
- He cut his glance toward Jace, who was walking a few paces ahead of them, apparently conversing with the cat. Clary wondered what they were talking about. Politics? Opera? The high price of tuna?
- Clary, pg. 135
- "First the candy and flowers, then the apology letters, then the ravenous demon hordes. In that order."
- Jace, pg. 153
- "Hodge sent me to wake you up. Actually, he offered to wake you up himself, but since it's five a.m., I figured you'd be less cranky if you had something nice to look at."
- Jace to Clary, pg. 162
"No, I'm Jace," said Jace patiently. "Simon is the weaselly little one with the bad haircut and dismal fashion sence."
- Clary and Jace, pg. 170
- "I always thought cab drivers didn't pay attention to traffic, but this is ridiculous,"
- Clary to Jace, pg. 172
- "I suppose you don't have much time for enjoying music," Clary said, thinking of Simon, for whom music was his entire life, "in your line of work."
He shrugged. "Maybe the occasional wailing chorus of the damned."
- Clary and Jace, pg. 172
- "If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have asked."
- Jace to Clary, pg. 187
- "Don't order any of the faerie food," said Jace, looking at her over the top of his menu. "It tends to make humans a little crazy. One minute you're munching a faerie plum, the next minute you're running naked down Madison Avenue with antlers on your head. Not," he added hastily, "that this has ever happened to me."
- Jace to Clary, pg. 192
- "Good idea," said Jace. "I shall be Baron Hotschaft Von Hugenstein."
- Jace to Isabelle, pg. 194
- "I didn't," said Jace. "At least, I didn't finish it. It's Magnus Bane." He grinned at Alec mockingly. "Rhymes with 'overcareful pain in the ass.'"
- Jace to Isabelle, pg. 197
- "A diary with no drawings of me in it? Where are the torrid fantasies? The romance novel covers? The-"
- Jace to Clary, pg. 204
- "To love is to destroy, and that to be loved is to be destroyed."
- Jace to Clary, pg. 206
- "Well, I'd certainly hate to interrupt your pleasant night stroll with my sudden death."
- Clary to Jace, pg. 216
- "If there was such a thing as terminal literalism, you'd have died in childhood,"
- Jace to Clary, pg.232
- "Where's Simon?" Clary interrupted.
Isabelle wobbled. "He's a rat," she said darkly.
"Did he do something to you?" Alec was full of brotherly concern. "Did he touch you? If he tried anything-"
"No, Alec," Isabelle said irritably. "Not like that. He's a rat"
- Clary, Isabelle, and Alec, pg. 237
- "When the self-congratulatory part of the evening is over, maybe we could get back to saving my best friend from being exsanguinated to death?"
- Clary to Jace, pg. 253
- "Vials oh holy water, blessed knives, steel and silver blades, electrum wire-not much use at the moment, but it's always good to have a spare-silver bullets, charm of protection, crucifixes, stars of David-"
"Jesus," said Clary.
"I doubt he'd fit."
- Jace and Clary, pg. 255
- "There might be a God, Clary, and there might not, but I don't think it matters. Either way, we're on our own."
- Jace to Clary, pg. 257
- "This is bad," said Jace.
"You said that before."
"It seemed worth repeating."
- Jace and Clary, pg. 282
- "I thought you guys said only some of the vampire bikes could fly?"
"Only some of them can!"
"How did you know this was one of them?"
- Clary and Jace, pg. 289-290
- "Do you remember back at the hotel when you promised that if we lived, you'd get dressed up in a nurse's outfit and give me a sponge bath?"
"Actually, I think you misheard," Clary said. "It was Simon who promised you the sponge bath."
Jace looked involuntarily over at Simon, who smiled at him widely. "As soon as I'm back on my feet, handsome."
"I knew we should have left you a rat."
- Jace, Clary, and Simon, pg. 296-297
- "Much like postal service, demon hunters never sleep. 'Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these-'"
"You'd be in major trouble if gloom of night did stay you."
- Jace and Clary, pg. 306
- "A picnic? It's a little late for Central Park, don't you think? It's full of-"
He waved a hand. "Faeries. I know."
"I was going to say muggers," said Clary. "Though I pity the mugger who goes after you."
- Clary and Jace, pg. 307
- "She was afraid you'd freak out? Start seeing demons in the White House?"
- Jace to Clary, pg. 311
- "Well, when I was five, I wanted my mother to let me go around and around inside the dryer with the clothes," Clary said. "The difference is, she didn't let me."
"Probably because going around and around inside a dryer can be fatal," Jace pointed out, "whereas pasta is rarely fatal. Unless Isabelle makes it."
- Clary and Jace, pg. 313
- "Maybe. Although I doubt most Shadowhunters get a tattoo of Donatello from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on their left shoulder."
- Clary to Jace, pg. 314
- "In future, Clarissa," he said, "it might be wise to mention that you already have a man in your bed, to avoid such tedious situations."
- Jace to Clary, pg. 317
- "Maybe you should have thought about that before you kissed me," he said.
"I kissed you?"
"Don't worry, it wasn't that memorable for me, either."
- Jace and Clary, pg. 318
- "You really want to know what else it was my mom said about you?" he asked.
She shook her head.
He didn't seem to notice. "She said you'd break my heart."
- Simon and Clary, pg. 321
- "Well you'll have to wait till tomorrow. I'm out of commission." He pointed at himself. "Look. Jammies."
- Jace to Clary, pg. 324
- "Don't tell me," he said. "You've got a drawing emergency. You need a nude model. Well, I'm not in the mood. You could ask Hodge,"
- Jace to Clary, pg. 324
- Jace was still staring at her as if she'd told him she'd found out one of the Silent Brothers doing nude cartwheels in the hallway.
- Clary, pg. 325
- "I can't wait till you draw something really complicated, like the Brooklyn Bridge or a lobster. You'll probably send me a singing telegram."
- Jace to Clary, pg. 325
- Only Jace could look cool in pajama bottoms and an old T-shirt, but he pulled it off, probably through sheer force of will.
- Clary about Jace, pg. 329
- "You know, most psychologists agree that hostility is really just sublimated sexual attraction."
"Ah, that might explain why I so often run into people who seem to dislike me."
- Clary and Jace, pg. 331
- "Sorry, are you telling me that your demon-slaying buddies need to be driven to their next assignation with the forces of darkness by my mom?"
- Simon to Clary, pg. 332
- "The nod means, 'I am a badass, and I recognize that you, too, are a badass.'"
- Simon to Clary, pg. 340
- "Demonic activity levels? Do they have a device that measures whether the demons inside the house are doing power yoga?"
- Simon to Clary, pg. 340
- "Seeing through glamour is easy. It's people that are hard."
- Clary to Simon, pg. 341
- "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
"At least you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting."
- Jace and Madame Dorothea, pg. 345
- "It's the Mortal Cup, Jace, not the Mortal Toilet Bowl."
- Isabelle to Jace, pg. 349
- "Drive fast, mundane. Drive like hell was following you."
- Jace to Simon
- "Wait a second."
"I never understand why people say that," Luke said, to no one in particular. "I wasn't going anywhere."
- Clary and Luke, pg. 407
- "Well, you can go ahead and hang your head out of the car window if you feel like it."
Luke laughed. "I'm a werewolf, not a golden retriever."
- Clary and Luke, pg. 415
- That sounds terrific. Just you, your comatose wife, your shell-shocked son, and you daughter who hates your guts. Not to mention that your two kids may be in love with each other. Yeah, that sounds like a perfect family reunion.
- Clary, pg. 444
- "So she had a box. Lots of people have boxes. They keep things in them. It's a growing trend, I hear."
- Jace to Clary, pg. 449
- "Honestly Jace, don't you know better than to play with broken glass?"
- Clary to Jace, pg. 466
- "Was it weird hearing from Jace? I mean, since you found out . . ."
"Yes? Since I found out what? That he's a killer transvestite who molests cats?"
"No wonder that cat of his hates everyone."
- Simon and Clary, pg. 472-473
- "Do you think it was a coincidence?"
"Do I think what was a coincidence?"
"That we wound up in Pandemonium the same night that Jace and the others just happened to be there, pursuing a demon? The night before Valentine came for my mother?"
Simon shook his head. "I don't believe in coincidences."
"Neither do I."
"But I have to admit, coincidence or not, it turned out to be a fortuitous occurrence."
- Clary and Simon, pg. 474
- "It's been so long that I think I was unsettled by the idea of feeling like I belonged anywhere. But you made me feel like I belong."
- Jace to Clary, pg. 482
City of Ashes (2008) 
- "I'll just have them change the entry in the demonology textbook from 'almost extinct' to 'not extinct enough for Alec. He prefers his monsters really, really extinct.' Will that make you happy?"
- Jace to Alec, pg. 10
- "I'm pure at heart. It repels the dirt."
- Isabelle to Alec, pg. 10
- "I don't see anything you need protecting from here," said the boy. "Except some bad decor and a possible mold problem. But you can usually clear that up with bleach."
- Jace to Freaky Pete, pg. 36
- Then again, it was Jace. He'd pick a fight with a Mack truck if the urge took him.
- Clary, pg. 40
- "I don't want to be a man. I want to be an angst-ridden teenager who can't confront his own inner demons and takes it out verbally on other people instead."
- Jace to Clary, pg. 45
- "A werewolf. Like everyone else here. Except you, and the asshole. And the asshole's sister."
- Maia to Simon, pg. 50
- Jace hadn't seemed perturbed, but knowing him, Simon had no doubt he could kill several people in a single morning and go out for waffles afterward.
- Simon, about Jace, pg. 50-51
- "Maybe I should ask for blessings on my mission against all those who wear white after Labor Day."
- Jace, pg. 53-54
- "However, there is something you should have. Something every Shadowhunter should have."
"An obnoxious, arrogant attitude?"
- Luke and Simon, pg. 71
- "This kind of reminds me of the time my grandfather gave me his old golf clubs."
"Yeah, except you never use those."
"And I hope you never have to use that."
- Simon and Clary, pg. 72
- "Looks like a bite mark. What have you been doing all day, anyway?"
"Nothing. I went walking in the park. Tried to clear my head."
"And ran into a vampire?"
"What? No! I fell."
"On your neck?"
- Jace and Alec, pg. 73-74
- "You see, cuckoos are parasites. They lay their eggs in other birds' nests. When the egg hatches, the baby cuckoo pushes the other baby birds out of the nest. The poor parent birds work themselves to death trying to find enough food to feed the enormous cuckoo child who has murdered their babies and taken their places."
"Enormous? Did you just call me fat?"
"It was an analogy."
"I am not fat."
- Imogen and Jace, pg. 78
- "I was trained to be an evil mastermind from a young age. Pulling the wings off flies, poisoning the earth's water supply - I was covering that stuff in kindergarten. I guess we're all just lucky my father faked his own death before he got to the raping and pillaging part of my education, or no one would be safe."
- Jace to Imogen, pg. 79
- "I'm not sure anyone can make Jace do anything. But I think you can remind him that he has something to live for."
- Alec to Clary, pg. 101
- "It was like a bad movie, except he didn't actually twirl his mustache."
- Jace to Clary, pg. 122
- "Yeah, he's terrified I'll tell everyone that he's always really wanted to be a ballerina."
- Jace to Imogen, pg. 123
- "Does he normally just lie on the floor like that without moving?"
- Magnus to Clary, pg. 135
- "Nearly unlimited supernatural power, and all you do is use it to watch reruns. What a waste."
- Jace to Magnus, pg. 136
- "We need to talk. All of us. About what we're going to do now."
"I was going to watch Project Runway. It's on next."
- Clary and Jace, pg. 137
- Magnus snapped his fingers again, menacingly. "Get up."
"Or you'll be the next one to go up in smoke," said Simon with relish.
"There's no need to clarify my finger snap. The implication was clear in the snap itself."
- Magnus and Simon, pg. 137
- "I love round tables. They suit me so much better than a square."
- Magnus, pg. 137
- "Is standing by the window muttering about blood something he does all the time?"
"No, sometimes he sits on the couch and does it."
- Simon and Jace. pg. 139
- "He's quoting Dungeons and Dragons. Ignore him."
- Clary about Simon, pg. 141
- "We seem to be trapped in an episode of One Life to Waste. It's all very dull."
- Magnus to Alec, pg. 144
- "Sure. And Madonna wants me as a backup dancer on her next world tour."
- Magnus to Alec, pg. 145
- "They can't be worse than vampires. And you did all right with them."
"Did all right with them? By which I take it you mean we survived?"
"Well. . ."
"Faeries," Jace went on, as if Simon hadn't spoken, "are the offspring of demons and angels, with the beauty of angels and the viciousness of demons. A vampire might attack you, if you enter its domain, but a faerie could make you dance until you died with your legs ground into stumps, trick you into a midnight swim and drag you screaming underwater until your lungs burst, fill your eyes with faerie dust until you gouged them out at the roots-"
"Jace!" Clary snapped.
- Simon, Jace, and Clary, pg. 146-147
- "Never doubt my weaseling abilities, Shadowhunter, for they are epic and memorable in their scope."
- Magnus to Jace, pg. 148
- Isabelle with her whip and boots and knives would chop anyone who tried to pen her up in a tower into pieces, build a bridge out of the remains, and walk carelessly to freedom, her hair looking fabulous the entire time.
- Clary, pg. 149
- "Traded him for Alec," Clary said.
"No," said Jace. "Just for a few hours. Unless I don't come back. In which case, maybe he does get to keep Alec. Think of it as a lease with an option to buy."
"Mom and Dad won't be pleased if they find out."
"That you freed a possible criminal by trading away your brother to a warlock who looks like a gay Sonic the Hedgehog and dresses like the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?" Simon inquired. "No, probably not."
- Clary, Isabelle, Jace, and Simon, pg. 150
- "Every time I annoy him, he retreats into his No Mundanes Allowed tree house."
- Simon to Clary, pg. 151
- "That does it, I'm going to get you a dictionary for Christmas this year."
"So you can look up 'fun.' I'm not sure you know what it means."
- Jace and Isabelle, pg. 155
- "Faeries have no sense of humor."
"Oh, I wouldn't say that. There's a pixie nightclub downtown called Hot Wings. Not that I have ever been there."
- Isabelle and Jace, pg. 158
- "Well, I'm not kissing the mundane. I'd rather stay down here and rot."
"Forever? Forever's an awfully long time."
"I knew it. You want to kiss me, don't you?"
- Jace and Simon, pg. 171
- "I guess it's true what they say. There are no straight men in the trenches."
"That's atheists, jackass. There are no atheists in the trenches."
- Jace and Simon, pg. 171
- "It's not often you get to see someone drool. Especially with such total abandon. Mouth wide open and everything."
- Jace to Clary, pg. 185
- "Oh, for goodness' sake, is he really waking us up at this ungodly hour just to prove his love to you or something?"
- Isabelle, pg. 188
- "Look. In all the years I've known him, there's always been exactly one place Simon wanted to be, and he's always fought like hell to make sure he got there and stayed there."
"Wherever you were."
- Luke and Clary, pg. 210-211
- "It was hard not to laugh. Determination like that in a ten-year-old is something to see. He was like a pit bull."
"If pit bulls wore glasses and were allergic to ragweed."
- Luke and Clary, pg. 211
- "How to Come Out to Your Parents," she read out loud. "LUKE. Don't be ridiculous. Simon's not gay, he's a vampire."
- Clary to Luke, pg. 213
- "I keep thinking about blood. I dream about it. Wake up thinking about it. Pretty soon I'll be writing morbid emo poetry about it."
- Simon to Clary, pg. 217
- "Because I foresee many romantic picnics in our future. You, drinking a virgin pina colada. Me, drinking the blood of a virgin."
- Simon to Clary, pg. 217
- "Here, I'll practice on you. Mom. I have something to tell you. I'm undead. Now, I know you may have some preconceived notions about the undead. I know you may not be comfortable with the idea of me being undead. But I'm here to tell you that the undead are just like you and me. Well, okay. Possibly more like me than you."
- Simon to Clary, pg. 218
- What they had between them was still as fragile as a flickering candle flame, as delicate as eggshell - and he knew that if it shattered, if he somehow let it break and be destroyed, something inside him would shatter too, something that could never be fixed.
- Simon, pg. 224
- "If you're calling me up just to chat, mundane, you must be lonelier than I thought."
- Jace to Simon, pg. 225
- "With Jace, you don't really get to choose your insulting nickname."
- Clary to Simon, pg. 234
- "Nothing," chorused Clary, Simon, Alec, Magnus, and Jace, in a surprising and probably never-to-be-repeated unison.
- Clary, Simon, Alec, Magnus, and Jace, pg. 243
- "I wish I could hate you. I want to hate you. I try to hate you. It would be so much easier if I did hate you. Sometimes I think I do hate you and then I see you and I-"
"And you what?"
"What do you think? Why should I tell you everything about how I feel when you never tell me anything. It's like banging my head on a wall, except at least if I were banging my head on a wall, I'd be able to make myself stop."
- Jace and Clary, pg. 244
- She was thinking of Simon, leaving for a house that no longer felt like home to him, of the despair in Jace's voice as he said I want to hate you, and of Magnus, not telling Jace the truth: that Alec did not want Jace to know about his relationship because he was still in love with him. She thought of the satisfaction it would have brought Magnus to say the words out loud, to acknowledge what the truth was, and the fact that he hadn't said them-had let Alec go on lying and pretending-because that was what Alec wanted, and Magnus cared about Alec enough to give him that. Maybe it was true what the Seelie Queen had said, after all: Love made you a liar.
- Clary, pg. 246-247
- "You might want to lie down. I find that helps when the crushing sense of horrible realization sets in."
- Magnus to Maia, pg. 274
- "No offense to anyone involved, but the only one among you who seems formidable is Jace. An untrained Shadowhunter and a scared vampire. . ."
- Magnus, pg. 277
- "There might simply be nothing going on that might activate it. Perhaps there isn't anything here that Alec is afraid of."
Magnus glanced at Alec and raised his eyebrows. "Boo."
- Luke and Magnus, pg. 285
- "What about the dark? We could lock you in the basement."
"I'm a demon hunter. Clearly, I am not afraid of the dark."
- Clary and Alec, pg. 285
- "Admiring yourself? You won't look so pretty when the Clave gets through with you."
"You do seem obsessed with my looks. Could it be that all this is because you're attracted to me?"
- Imogen and Jace, pg. 302
- He waited, but nothing happened.
"Boom? Was something suppose to happen there?"
- Jace to Imogen, pg. 303
- "You don't know my father. He'll laugh in your face and offer you some money to mail my body back to Idris."
"Don't be absurd-"
"You're right. Coming to think of it, he'll probably make you pay for the shipping charges yourself."
- Jace and Imogen, pg. 306
- "No, I'm just a very naughty boy. I do all sorts of bad things. I kick kittens. I make rude gestures at nuns."
- Jace to Alec, pg. 311
- "What? I thought you came down right on the side of go directly to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect two hundred dollars. 'The Law is the Law, Isabelle.' What was all that you were spouting?"
- Jace to Alec, pg. 313
- "I thought I'd lie on the floor and writhe in pain for awhile. It relaxes me."
- Jace to Alec, pg. 318
- "Hearing my achievements recited is certainly gratifying, but I'm not sure what your point is, Alec."
- Jace to Alec, pg. 319
- "What makes you think that Valentine's change of plans had anything to do with your brother?"
"Because only Jace can piss someone off that much."
- Luke and Clary, pg. 325
- "If you're texting Magnus to say 'I think u r kewl,' I'm going to kill you."
- Isabelle to Alec, pg. 329
- "If I made a joke about just dropping in, would you write me off as a cliche?"
- Jace to Clary, pg. 338
- "Any last words?"
Simon knew what he was supposed to say. Sh'ma Yisrael, adonai elohanu, adonai echod. Hear, oh Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One. He tried to speak the words, but a searing pain burned his throat. "Clary,"
- Valentine and Simon, pg. 342-343
- "You disappear so completely into your head sometimes. I wish I could follow you."
You do. You live in my head all the time.
- Jace and Clary, pg. 354
- "What did he promise you?"
"Oh, you know. The usual. A lifetime's supply of Knicks tickets."
- Luke and Jace, pg. 375
- "We have to get out of here."
"No offense, but that's pretty obvious."
- Clary and Maia, pg. 378
- "The greatest fear in Jonathan's life is the love he feels for his sister."
- Valentine to Clary, pg. 388
- "When did you get that?"
"The shirt? At Macy's. Winter sale."
- Imogen and Jace, pg. 390
- "I know you don't have to help us out-it's a favor-"
"Stop. I don't do favors, Alec. I do things for you because-well, why do you think I do them?
- Alec and Magnus, pg. 406
- "This is so weird. I keep expecting the truck to start sinking."
"I can't believe you just went through what we went through and you think this is weird."
- Simon and Jace, pg. 427
- "No. I've always known just who you are. Ever since the first time I saw you getting off the ship from Idris, when you were ten years old-you walked into my heart, just as my own children did when they were born."
- Maryse to Jace, pg. 433
- "Forgive my parental panic. I tend to get a little nervous when you're not in my immediate line of sight these days."
"Oh yeah? How long do you think that's going on for?"
"Not long. Five, maybe six years."
"I plan to let you start dating when you're thirty, if that helps."
- Luke and Clary, pg. 440
- "I really was sick. I swear. I almost died back there on the ship, you know."
"I know. Every time you almost die, I almost die myself."
- Clary and Jace, pg.449
City of Glass (2009) 
- "Patience grasshopper," said Maia. "Good things come to those who wait."
- "I always thought that it was 'Good things come to those who do the wave,'" said Simon. "No wonder I've been so confused all my life."
- "'Confused is a nice word for it," said Jace.
- Clary Fray: "Look, you can date whoever you want and I will totally support you. I am all about support. Support is my middle name."
- Simon Lewis: "So that's why you never told me your middle name. I figured it was something embarrassing."
- "So technically, even though Jace isn't actually related to you, you have kissed your brother."
- Simon Lewis
- "I know how you think you feel about me, you don't though. You just like me because I'm safe. There's no risk. And then you never have to try to have a real relationship because you can use me as an excuse."
- Jace to Alec. pg138
- "You don't believe me? Fine. Go ahead. Kiss me right now."
- Jace to Alec.pg.138
- "Exactly. Despite my staggering good looks, you actually don't like me that way. And if you're blowing off Magnus, it's not because of me. It's because you're too scared to tell anyone who you really love. Love makes us liars. The Seelie Queen told me that. So don't judge me for lying about how i feel. You do it too."
- Jace Wayland (to Alec)
- "I get it. First Clary, then your hand, now me. To hell with you Jace."
- Alec Lightwood (to Jace)pg.138
- Jace Wayland: "Romanian? That's impressive, not many people speak it."
- Sebastian Verlac: "Do you?"
- Jace Wayland: "Not really. My Romanian is pretty much limited to useful phrases like, 'Are these snakes poisonous?' and 'But your much too young to be a police officer.'"
- Jace Wayland: "In fact, why didn't Madeleine approach both of us about this? Why just you?"
- Clary Fray: "You know why."
- Jace Wayland: "Because, to her you're Jocelyn's daughter. But I'll always be Valentine's son."
- Jace Wayland: "So it's true. You can walk in sunlight...I thought perhaps it might have worn off."
- Simon Lewis: "If i feel the urge to burst into flames, I'll let you know."
- "I used to think being a good warrior meant not caring. About anything, myself especially. I took every risk i could. I flung myself in the path of demons. I think I gave Alec a complex about what kind of fighter he was, just because he wanted to live. I alway thought love made you stupid. Made you weak. A bad shadowhunter. To love is to destroy. I believed that. And then I met you. You were a mundane. Weak. Not a fighter. Never trained. And then I saw how much you loved your mother, loved Simon, and how you'd walk into hell to save them.------ Love didn't make you weak, it made you stronger than anyone I'd ever met. And I realized I was the one who was weak."
- Jace Wayland
- Simon Lewis: "You look happy. And a good thing for you that she does."
- Jace Wayland: "Is this the part where you tell me if I hurt her, you'll kill me?"
- Simon Lewis: "No. If you hurt Clary, she's quite capable of killing you herself. Possibly with a variety of weapons."
- "I see that you are working this vampire angle with some success. And kudos. Lots of girls love that sensitive - undead thing. But I'd drop that whole musician angle if I were you. Vampire rock stars are played out, and besides, you can't possibly be very good."
- Jace Wayland (to Simon)
- "There is no pretending, I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then."
- Jace Wayland (to Clary) pg. 331
- "I think it's strawberry juice," Isabelle said. "Anyway, it's yummy. Jace?" She offered him the glass.
- "I am a man," he told her, "and men do not consume pink beverages. Get thee gone, woman, and bring me something brown."
- "Brown?" Isabelle made a face.
- "Brown is a manly color."
- -Isabelle and Jace pp. 534
- "Or maybe she's trying to take the attention off you," Simon said, almost absently. "You know since your parents don't know your gay and all."
- Alec stopped in the middle of the road so suddenly that Simon almost crashed into him. "No," he said, "but apparently everyone else does."
- Simon and Alec pg. 74
City of Fallen Angels (2011) 
- "Well, when a mommy vampire and a daddy vampire love each other very much..."
- Simon (Page 8)
- "I'm taking that away from you before you get to the India part, Magnus in a sari. Some things you don't ever forget"
- Jace (Page 44)
- Jace: "We came here to train, and we should train. If we just spend all the time we're supposed to be training making out instead, they'll quit letting me help you at all."
- Clary: "Aren't they supposed to be hiring someone else to train me full-time anyway?"
- Jace: "Yes, and I'm worried that if you get into the habit of making out with your instructors, you'll wind up making out with him too"
- Clary: "Don't be sexist. They could find me a female instructor."
- Jace: "In that case you have my permission to make out with her, as long as I can watch."
- Clary: "But they love each other. Isn't that what love means? That you're supposed to be there for the other person to turn to, no matter what?"
- Luke: "Sometimes, Clary, love just ins't enough."
- Kyle: "You know, some people think Shadowhunters are just myths. Like mummies and genies. Can you grant wishes?"
- Jace: "That depends. Do you wish to be punched in the face?"
- Clary: "That doesn't make any sense."
- Jace: "Neither does this, but I don't care. I'm sick of trying to pretend I can live without you. Don't you understand that? Can't you see it's killing me?"
- "Break a leg up there," Jace said with a wicked grin. "And I'll be down here, hopefully breaking someone else's."
(Jace to Simon)
- Jace: "What was that? Sorry, I think I fell asleep for a moment. Do, continue with whatever mesmerizing thing you were saying."
- Simon: "Stop it. Stop being sarcastic for a second. You're not eating, you're not sleeping. You know who else isn't? Clary. I don't know what's going out with you and her, because frankly she hasn't said anything about it. I assume she doesn't want to talk about it either. But it's pretty obvious you're having a fight. And if you're going to break up with her..."
- Jace: "Break up with her? Are you insane?"
- Maia: "Bat says I shouldn't be so hard on you. He says guys do stupid things when girls are involved. Especially geeky ones who previously haven't had much luck with women."
- Simon: "It's like he can see into my soul."
- Magnus: "You are not trivial."
- Alec: "If you say so."
- Magnus: "I say so."
- Simon: "Love isn't a weakness."
- Lilith: "Oh, isn't it?"
- Simon: "So you're trying yo make her happy despite the fact that the reason she's unhappy in the first place is you. That seems contradictory, doesn't it?"
- Jace: "Love is a contradiction."