Cleanliness is the absence of dirt, including dust, stains, bad smells and garbage.
- Todo saldrá en la colada.
- I'll purge and leave sack and live cleanly.
Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations
- Quotes reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 122.
- For cleanness of body was ever esteemed to proceed from a due reverence to God, to society, and to ourselves.
- Francis Bacon, Advancement of Learning.
- He that toucheth pitch shall be defiled therewith.
- Ecclesiasticus, XIII. 1.
- God loveth the clean.
- Koran, Chapter LX.
- If dirt was trumps, what hands you would hold!
- Charles Lamb, Lamb's Suppers, Volume II. Last Chapter.
- The doctrines of religion are resolved into carefulness; carefulness into vigorousness; vigorousness into guiltlessness; guiltlessness into abstemiousness; abstemiousness into cleanliness; cleanliness into godliness.
- Talmud. Division of Mishna, as translated by Dr. A. S. Bettelheim. Religious zeal leads to cleanliness, cleanliness to purity, purity to godliness, godliness to humility to the fear of sin. Rabbi Pinhasben-Jaïr—Commentary on the lines from the Talmud. See also Talmudde Jerusalem, by Schwab, IV. 16. Commentary on the treatise Schabbath. Schul—Sentences of Proverbes du Talmud et du Midrasch. 463.
- Then bless thy secret growth, nor catch
At noise, but thrive unseen and dumb;
Keep clean, be as fruit, earn life, and watch,
Till the white-winged reapers come.
- Henry Vaughan, The Seed Growing Secretly.
- Certainly this is a duty, not a sin. "Cleanliness is indeed next to godliness."
- John Wesley, Sermon XCII, On Dress. Quoted by Rowland Hill as a saying of Whitefield's.