- "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
- T.S. Eliot, ["The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock," line 51]
- Coffee comes in five descending stages: Coffee, Java, Jamoke, Joe, and Carbon Remover.
- The voodoo priest and all his powers were as nothing compared to espresso, cappuccino, and mocha, which are stronger than all the religions of the world combined, and perhaps stronger than the human soul itself.
- The influence of coffee in stimulating the genital organs is notorious.
- John Harvey Kellogg (1877) Plain facts for old and young : embracing the natural history and hygiene of organic life.
- Coffee, which makes the politician wise/And see through all things with his half-shut eyes...
- Alexander Pope, The Rape of the Lock
- Coffee was only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to your slightly older self.
- A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems.
- Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it.
- Kathryn Janeway (Star Trek: Voyager, "Hunters")