Hendrik Johannes Cruijff OON (born 25 April 1947), more famous as Johan Cruyff, is a former Dutch footballer and is currently the manager of the Catalan national team as well as a member of the AFC Ajax board of directors. He won the Ballon d'Or three times, in 1971, 1973 and 1974, which is a record jointly held with Michel Platini, Marco van Basten and Lionel Messi. Cruyff was one of the most famous exponents of the football philosophy known as Total Football explored by Rinus Michels, and is widely regarded as one of the greatest players of all time.
- The main problem in Britain is that there are too many competitions and too many games. There is no time to prepare properly for Europe or to introduce new ideas because there is far too much emphasis on domestic football.
- Sadly, they played very dirty. This ugly, vulgar, hard, hermetic, hardly eye-catching, hardly football style... If with this they got satisfaction, fine, but they lost.
- Criticising the Dutch team's play in the 2010 World Cup final, in BBC Sport (12 July 2010)
- It hurts me that Holland chose an ugly path to aim for the title.
- BBC Sport (12 July 2010)
The Big Johan Cruyff Interview January 24th, 2012
- I won’t walk away. Never. And that is for two reasons. One, this opposition only fires me up more. These people think they can take over our club. Wrong! They made a mistake. And secondly, we are with many people now and I won’t abandon my brothers in arms. The more resistance we get, the more motivated we get.
- Every time we seemed to make progress, someone else came from the shadows to put a knife in our back! Never in your face. Always from behind.
- What do I care about what we call the meeting? But that is the culture now. Minutes, procedures, constitutions. People hide behind these things and play powergames.
- If you see problems somewhere, you address it! Particularly when you know the people well. You don’t tell on them in a board meeting, with a lawyer and an organisation guru and a tv producer.
- Now we can do it right, so we should do it right. The whole world was looking, or IS looking at us through a spyglass. We can not screw up.