- Our purpose is to educate as well as to entertain. Painless preaching is as good a term as any for what we do. If you're going to come away from a party singing the lyrics of a song, it is better that you sing of self-pride like 'We're a Winner' instead of 'Do the Boo-ga-loo!'
- As quoted in The Sociology of Rock (1978) by Simon Frith ISBN 0094602204
- He don't love you like I love you
If he did, he wouldn't break your heart
He don't love you like I love you
He's try-in' to tear us apart.
- People get ready there's a train comin';
You don't need no baggage, just get on board.
All you need is faith to hear the diesels hummin';
You don't need no ticket, just thank the lord.
- He says don't worry, worry, worry, worry.
But they don't know,
There can be no show.
And if there's a hell below,
We're all gonna go, go, go, go, go.
- Hush now child and don't you cry;
Your folks might understand you by and by.
Move on up towards your destination;
You may find from time to time,
- We'll all turn black
So who's to know?
As a matter of fact,
Color, creed and breed must go.
There will be no light,
So there can be no sight.
And you'll judge your fellow man;
Understand bout what is right.
A million music, a million sound
There's neutral thoughts
For the underground.
- Underground, from Roots (1971)
- Let's do it in the mornin'
Sweet breeze in the summer time.
Feeling your sweet face
All laid up next to mine.
Sweet love in the midnight;
Good sleep, come mornin' light.
No worries 'bout nothin';
Just gettin' good, just gettin' good
Just gettin' good love.
- Oh, many say that I'm too young
To let you know just where I come from.
Oh, but you will see that it's just a matter of time
My love will surely make you mine.
Ooh, living in a world of ghetto life,
Everyone around seems so uptight.
It's alright with my man, my man.
- I'm giving him something he can feel.
Oh, ho, to let him know my love is real.
Hey, hey, hey...I'm giving him something he can feel.
Yes, I am, babe
To let you know my love is real.
- Something He Can Feel
- Wakin' up to find yourself creamin'
Check your fears and hope that you're dreamin'
A little space is all that I need
If these suckers just allow me to breathe
Snake pits and Lucifer's burns
Can't take the strength I've earned and learned
Stepped in depth of the same livin' hell
Ain't too proud to die here as well.
Do Do Wap is strong in here;
Do Do Wap is strong in here, hey! hey!
- Do Do Wap is Strong in Here, from Short Eyes (1977)
- I was someone more
Because I was no one poor.
To find that I too was down on my knees.
I'm just homeless.
- Homeless, from Take It To The Streets (1990)
- Now is always the right time
With something positive in your mind.
Whenever someone pulls you down,
Just get back up and hold your ground.
Summer, winter, fall just go
Through the rain and through the snow.
Just get on back to living again...right on.
- Back to Living Again, from New World Order (1996)
- It's hard to understand;
There was love in this man.
I'm sure all would agree
That his misery
Was his woman and things.
Now Freddie's dead;
That's what I said.
Everybody's misused him;
Ripped him off and abused him.
Another junkie playin';
Pushin' dope for the man.
A terrible blow, but that's how it go.
Freddie's on the corner now.
If you wanna be a junkie, wow;
Remember, Freddie's dead.
- Why can't we brothers
Protect one another?
No one's serious,
And it makes me furious.
Don't be misled,
Just think of Fred.
- Freddie's Dead
- Oooh, Superfly
You're gonna make your fortune by and by.
But if you lose, don't ask no questions why.
The only game you know is Do or Die.