Danish Kaneria (Urdu, Sindhi: دانش کنیریا) (born December 16, 1980) is a leg-spin bowler in the Pakistani cricket team. Born into a Hindu Gujarati family of Marwari origin, Kaneria hails from Karachi and has been acknowleged as one of the best spinners the city has produced. Prior to representing his country, he had a colourful first-class career playing for Karachi, Habib Bank Limited and PNSC. Most recently, he has been a key player for Essex in the English county cricket structure.
- Leg spin is an art. Not everybody has that art. Two or three people in the world can do what I do. Because of His help, His hand on me, I am going forward. That makes me down to earth and humble enough.
- Kaneria describing the role that his faith plays in his life and cricket, interview on Times Online (October 21 2005)
- I did not say that I wanted to stay over here. I still want to play for Pakistan and my state side there – my priority is with Pakistan for as long as they need me in Test cricket. In fact I am always there for them in any form of the game – Pakistan has given me the name to be playing cricket in England. If ever Pakistan didn’t select me for three to four years in a row in any form of cricket then, and only then, would I think about coming over here.
- Kaneria pledging his loyalty to Pakistan while rejecting a claim from an English-newspaper that he was interested in switching nationalities from Pakistani to English to further his career. 1
Quotes about Kaneria
- If you’ve got any cigarettes he’ll talk to you for as long as you like.