Divergent is a young adult science fiction novel by Veronica Roth. It was first published in 2011 by Katherine Tegen Books. It is the first novel in a trilogy of the same name, followed by Insurgent. It has been made into a movie, which will be released on March 21, 2014.
Divergent is narrated by Beatrice Prior, a sixteen-year old girl who lives in a dystopian society where the people are split into five factions according to certain characteristics: Abnegation the selfless, Amity the peaceful, Candor the honest, Dauntless the brave, and Erudite the intelligent. Beatrice has an aptitude for multiple factions, a trait called Divergence.
Quotes from Divergent
- One choice can transform you.
- Front cover
- Faction customs dictate even idle behavior and superseed individual preference. I doubt all the Erudite want to study all the time, or that every Candor enjoys a lively debate, but they can't defy the norms of their factuons any more than I can.
- p. 9
- The uniform pounding of feet in my ears and the homogeneity of the people around me makes me believe that I could choose this. I could be subsumed into Abnegation's hive mind, projecting always outward.
- p. 39
- I think it's important to protect people. To stand up for people. Like you did for me.
- p. 190, spoken by Al to Tris
- Every time I think about the word "Divergent", I hear Tori's warning—and now my mother's warning too. Don't tell anyone. Dangerous.
- p. 194
- I don't reward preying on the weak. That is cowardice.
- p. 197, spoken by Four
- The Dauntless-born initiates are like a pack of dogs. If I act the wrong way, they won't let me run with them.
- p. 211
- My heart beats so hard it hurts, and I can't scream and I can't breathe, but I also feel everything, every vein and every fiber, every bone and every nerve, all awake and buzzing in my body as if charged with electricity. I am pure adrenaline.
- p. 221
- Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up.
- p. 313, spoken by Four
- I will be my undoing
If I become my obsession.
- p. 35, Abnegation faction manifesto
- Dishonesty is a veil that shields one person from another.
- p. 40, Candor faction manifesto
- Intelligence is a gift, not a right. It myst be wielded not as a weapon but as a tool for the betterment of others.
- p. 46, Erudite faction manifesto
- We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.
- p. 47, Dauntless faction mainfesto
- quoted by Will on p. 206 of main text
Quotes about Divergent
- “Divergent” clearly has thrills, but it also movingly explores a more common adolescent anxiety — the painful realization that coming into one’s own sometimes means leaving family behind, both ideologically and physically.
- Dominus, Susan (May 12, 2011). In This Dystopia, Teens Must Choose Wisely. The New York Times. Retrieved on October 27, 2013.
- Tris is not your usual Mary Sue. She’s selfish. She’s manipulative. She’s vindictive as hell – and I LOVED that about this book.
- James, Thea (June 15, 2011). Book Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth. The Book Smugglers. Retrieved on October 26, 2013.
- Roth, Veronica (2011). Divergent (First paperback ed.). Katherine Tegen Books. ISBN 978-0-06-202403-9.