E. L. James
Fifty Shades Darker (2011)
- "You really have to let me fight my own battles. You can't constantly second-guess me and try to protect me. It's stifling, Christian. I'll never flourish with your incessant interference. I need some freedom. I wouldn't dream of meddling in your affairs."
"...if we are to have any hope of a future together, you have to trust me and trust my judgment. Yes, I'll get it wrong sometimes--I'll make mistakes, but I have to learn."
"...I know you want to control everything, and I understand why, but you can't. It's an impossible goal...you have to learn to let go."
- Anastasia Steele, Chapter 11, p. 273-274
Fifty Shades Freed (2011)
- "I give you my solemn vow to be your faithful partner in sickness and in health, to stand by your side in good times and in bad, to share your joy as well as your sorrow...I promise to love you unconditionally, to support you in your goals and dreams, to honor and respect you, to laugh with you and cry with you, to share my hopes and dreams with you, and bring you solace in times of need...And to cherish you for as long as we both shall live."
- Anastasia Grey, Chapter 4, p. 74
- "I solemnly vow that I will safeguard and hold dear and deep in my heart our union and you...I promise to love you faithfully, forsaking all others, through the good times and the bad, in sickness and health, regardless of where life takes us. I will protect you, trust you, and respect you. I will share your joys and sorrows and comfort you in times of need. I promise to cherish you and uphold your hopes and dreams and keep you safe at my side. All that is mine is now yours. I give you my hand, my heart, and my love from this moment on for as long as we both shall live."
- Christian Grey, Chapter 4, p. 74
- "I vowed I would bring you solace in time of need. Please don't make me break my vows."
- Anastasia Grey, Chapter 4, p. 75