East of Eden (film)
East of Eden is a 1955 film directed by Elia Kazan. Based on the novel of the same name by John Steinbeck, the film stars James Dean in his first major role, Julie Harris, Raymond Massey, Burt Ives, Richard Davelos and Jo Van Fleet.
Adam Trask 
- Son, I'd be happy if you'd give me something like your brother's given me. Something honest and human and good. Don't be angry, Son. If you want to give me a present, give me a good life. That's something I could value.
- The way I figure it out Aron never having had a mother he's made her everything good that he can think of and that's what he thinks I am. That's who he's in love with. It's not me at all. 'Cause I'm not a bit like that made- up one. Not a bit. I don't mean I think I'm really bad.
- Mr. Trask, it's awful not to be loved. It's the worst thing in the world. Don't ask me - even if you could - how I know that. I just know it. It makes you mean, and violent, and cruel. And that's the way Cal has always felt, Mr. Trask. All his life! Maybe you didn't mean it that way - but it's true. You never gave him your love. You never asked for his. You never asked him for one thing. But you must give him some sign, Mr. Trask, some sign that you love him... or he'll never be a man. All his life he'll feel guilty and alone unless you release him.
- Your father still thinks he's living in the Bible, huh?
- Adam: [Adam gives Cal the bible to read] Start at the fifth verse. Verse 5.
- Cal: "I acknowledge my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah."
- Adam: Go on.
- Cal: Six..
- Adam: And I suggest a little slower, Cal. And you don't have to read the verse numbers.
- Cal: "For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee. And surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him. Selah." Seven..
- Adam: Not the numbers, Cal...
- Cal: "Thou art my hiding place, thou shalt preserve me from trouble, thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah." Eight...
- Adam: You have no repentance! You're bad! Through and through, bad!
- Cal: You're right. I am bad. I knew that for a long time.
- Adam: I didn't mean that, Cal. I spoke in anger.
- Cal: Well, it's true. Aron's the good one. I guess there's just a certain amount of good and bad you get from your parents and I just got the bad.
- Adam: That's not true. Cal, listen to me. You can make of yourself anything you want. It's up to you. A man has a choice. That's where he's different from an animal.
- Cal: How come you did it?
- Kate: Did what?
- Cal: Shot my father?
- Kate: Did he tell you that?
- Cal: How come you ran away from all of us? How come you shot him?
- Kate: None of your business. I shot him because he tried to stop me. I could have killed him if I'd wanted to, but I didn't. I just wanted him to let me go.
- Cal: Why?
- Kate: Because he tried to hold me. He wanted to tie me down. He wanted to keep me on a stinking little ranch away from everybody. Keep me all to himself. Nobody holds me.
- Cal: But he loved you.
- Kate: Love! He wanted to own me. He wanted to bring me up like a snot-nosed kid and tell me what to do. Nobody tells me what to do. Always so right himself. Knowing everything. Reading the Bible at me.