Elephant is a 2003 drama film edited, written, and directed by Gus Van Sant. It takes place in the fictional Watt High School, in the suburbs of Portland, Oregon, and chronicles the events surrounding a school shooting, based in part on the 1999 Columbine High School massacre.
- [Going over final preparations with Eric] We have enough explosives to last us almost a day. And most importantly, have fun, man!
- [To John, who asks what he and Eric are doing] Just get the fuck out, don't come back. Some heavy shit's goin' down.
- So foul and fair a day I have not seen.
- Eeny, meeny, miney, moe. Catch a tiger, by his toe. If he hollers, let him go. Eeny, meeny, miney... moe.
- I've... never kissed anybody before. Have you?
- [The bombs fail to go off] Dude, what the fuck?
- [When Mr. Luce asks him to put his gun down] I ain't puttin' shit down!
- I shot the principal and some other people, and-
- Girl in Cafeteria: What are you writing?
- Alex: Oh, this? This is my plan.
- Girl in Cafeteria: For what?
- Alex: Oh, you'll see.
- Eric: So, how'd you do?
- Alex: Did all right. What happened?
- Eric: I shot the principal and some other people, and-
[Alex shoots Eric, cutting him off. Hearing some noise nearby, Alex goes to search the freezer. Inside, he finds Nathan and Carrie.]
- Alex: [Smirking] Well, well, well. Look who it is!
- Nathan: Dude, come on, don't do this.
- Alex: [Aiming alternately at Nathan and Carrie, switching with each word] Eeny...
- Carrie: Please!
- Nathan: You stupid fuck! What the hell are you doing?
- Alex: ...meeny... miny...
- Carrie: Please. Don't.
- Alex: ...moe. Catch a tiger...
- Nathan: This isn't something you wanna do.
- Alex: ...by his toe.
- Carrie: Please.
- Alex: If he hollers...
- Nathan: You're fuckin' sick. Don't do this.
- Alex: ...let him go. Eeny, meeny, miny... moe.