Elvis (TV miniseries)
- (During his Comeback Special) I was down in Florida, the State police decided to come and fill my show. All I had to stand still and all I can move was, this little finger here.
- (last Lines) Guess what, Steve? I'm touring Vegas.
- (After singing Don't Be Cruel at the Jacksonville Theatre) I'll see you girls backstage.
- The higher I climb, the longer it gets.
- Before me, there was no such thing as a rock star.
- I don't wanna sing another song that I don't believe in. I don't wanna make another movie that I don't care about.
- Is this what we always dreamed of.
- (To Priscilla) Look, dammit! I didn't know things were gonna get out of hand, but I want a woman to understand that things like this may happen. Are you going to be that woman or not?
- Everybody, this is Priscilla.
- When I'm on stage, I'm a different person.
- (Holding up a newspaper saying "Sullivan Vows NO Elvis") Ed Sullivan says he wouldn't touch me with a ten foot pole.
Colonel Tom Parker
- We started big on TV, now we can restart big on TV.
- (To Elvis) You're starting to look like a kettle of crap, son.
- (During an argument with Elvis) You ungrateful hillbilly, I knew you'd betray me.
- You made your first Gold record.
- Call me, Colonel.
- Look, son, you know where my loyalties lie. I was just talking to the director of this year's masterpiece. Have you seen how much he's putting her in the film, all the close ups of her? He's in love with the girl I swear.
- Elvis, this Ann-Margret representation idea. You need to think long and hard for something you want me to do.
- Stay true to yourself, it'll be okay.
- Are you wearin' mascara, son?
- Elvis, go get 'em, Elvis.
- That there song is a hit.
- Sometimes, a song and a singer don't necessarily go together.
- There's a spirituality deep inside the music, and inside you. You being true to yourself son? Your doing what you love. You got to be strong Elvis. You can't compromise what your heart knows.
- Steve Binder: What's going on, Elvis?
- Elvis Presley: I'm sorry, Steve. I can't do it and I can't go on.
- Steve Binder: What?
- Elvis Presley: This whole thing was just a bad idea. I haven't played in front of the live audience for more than seven years now. I dont know if I can do it anymore. What if they don't like me?
- Steve Binder: Don't like you... Oh my God, Elvis, you created rock 'n roll. You're the King. When you step out there, you're gonna be king again.
- Scotty Moore: It's just like riding a bike, Elvis. Once you get on stage, it's gonna be like old times.
- Title card: Before Elvis there was nothing - John Lennon
- Gladys Presley: How was school today, Elvis?
- Elvis Presley: Fine. They don't talk too much to me there.
- Vernon Presley: I don't doubt it. Those clothes you wear, that hair.
- Gladys Presley: Don't you start Vernon. That's his style, everyone's gotta have a style. You used to have a style Vernon.
- Grandma Minnie: Oh, your daddy was a looker, Elvis.
- Vernon Presley: You're right about that.
- Gladys Presley: Still is when he sets his mind to it.(About Vernon) Boy could he dance. (to Elvis) Play something on the guitar, maybe your daddy would dance to it.
- Vernon Presley: Oh, no. I'm not dancing. I'm eating.
(In Sun Records)
- Elvis Presley: Ma'am, this is where they make all those R&B Records right? Rufus Thomas, The Prisoneers?
- Marion Keisker: That's us.
- Elvis Presley: Oh ma'am, I like those records a whole lot. I was wandering ma'am, if anyone needed a singer or something.
- Marion Keisker: What kind of singer are you?
- Elvis Presley: I sing all kinds.
- Marion Keisker: You sing hill billy?
- Elvis Presley: I sing hill billy.
- Marion Keisker: Country?
- Elvis Presley: I sing country.
- Marion Keisker: Who do you sound like?
- Elvis Presley: I don't sound like nobody, ma'am.
- Sam Phillips: That sounded something like Bing Crosby, the trouble is we already got us a Bing Crosby and the one before us we got us Eddy Arnold and a Hank Snow. Son, give me something. Give some of you, give me some of you, give me some Elvis Presley.
- Elvis Presley: I'm sorry, Mr. Phillips. I don't mean to waste your time.
- Sam Phillips: That's all right, Elvis, that's all right. You get yourself a soda.
- Bill Black: For Sam, it's always all right. It's just not good enough.
- Gladys Presley: And where is it you're from exactly?
- Colonel Tom Parker: I've wondered the land, like a gypsy.
- Gladys Presley: Well, thank you for stopping by, Mr. Parker. We'll let you know.
- Colonel Tom Parker: If you would call me Colonel, ma'am.
- Elvis Presley: You can move, baby.
- Ann-Margret: You can sing, baby.
- Elvis Presley: Tell me, how far are we goin' on motorcycle?
- Ann-Margret: Gentlemen, start your engines.
- Elvis Presley: (angrily) That's an outrageous lie! I can't believe she'd say that.
- Priscilla Presley: So it's true.
- Elvis Presley: No, we're not engaged.
- Elvis Presley: Listen to this. This is how God works.
- Elvis Presley: I may be expressing myself through these beautiful symphonies of light, color, and language that manifests itself as music, but they will hail you as one of the great ones of the day, and think of you as a wonderful preacher, and teacher.
- Red West: Huh?
- Elvis Presley: Don't you get it? Ever since Mamma died, I've been asking myself these questions. Why'd God take her away from me? Why am I not happy when he gave me all this success and fame? Why, out of all the millions, did he pick me to be Elvis Presley?
- Lamar Fike: Don't we make you happy?
- Elvis Presley: No, Lamar, you don't. None of this does. Oh, you guys have to read these books.
- Gene Smith: Hey, if it ain't got Batman in it, it ain't in my library.
- Red West: Or naked women.
- Elvis Presley: To hell with the lot of you.
- Colonel Tom Parker: Let's face it, son. The records aren't doing what they used to and the movie aren't doing much better.
- Elvis Presley: That's probably because of all this material you keep shovin' down my throat, Colonel. Hell, you can't polish a turd.
- Vernon Presley: Elvis?
- Elvis Presley: What? And why are you lookin' at me like that? Do I have a zit or something?
- Vernon Presley: It's the pills, E. I'm worried about your health. I just wanna help.
- Elvis Presley: [shouting] I don't need no advice from the likes of you! You work for me, that's all.
- Vernon Presley: I'm your daddy!
- Elvis Presley: And I'm of age, old man! I don't need a daddy anymore!
- Bill Black: Imagine us on the Dorsey Brother's Stage Show.
- Scotty Moore: Imagine us being on TV the same time as Perry Como.
- Red West: That Perry Como's a square.
- Elvis Presley: What are you talking about. I like Perry Como, you son of a bitch.
- Elvis Presley: [after a song] So, how was it?
- Priscilla Presley: I liked it, it was really sweet. I prefer the fast ones, though, like Jailhouse Rock. Why don't you do more of those?
- Elvis Presley: [shouting] Dammit, I didn't ask you to tell me how to sing! I just asked if you liked it! I get enough amateur opinions, I don't need one from you!
(softly, after a pause)
- Elvis Presley: Come here, Satnin.
- Priscilla Presley: No...
- Elvis Presley: Come on. I'm sorry, I just finished that recording session and I'm real proud of it. Better than the hogwash they give me to sing in those movies.
- Elvis Presley: Stupid movies, stupid songs! And each one makes more money than the last, so I don't get to tour anymore. But I'm sorry, I'll make it up to you, I promise. And when we get to Vegas, I'm gonna get you the best dress money can buy.
- Dixie Locke: I need to spend some more time with you.
- Elvis Presley: I just can't right now, Dixie. We gotta drive south. These cats from the hayride have us booked back to back.
- Dixie Locke: "Cats"? [Tearfully turning away] I've lost you.
[On the set of a movie]
- Colonel Tom Parker: You're starting to look like a kettle of crap, son.
- Elvis: That's none of your business.
- Colonel Tom Parker: Oh, but it is my business. Because no one is going to pay to see a burned out Elvis. And I see you've been late to the set more then once, that's not like you at all.
- Elvis: [Angrily] Have you even read this piece of crap. Do you know the lines I've gotta say. Oh, you wouldn't hurry up to get here either Colonel.
- Colonel Tom Parker: Its not professional son. Now you signed on to do this, you owe them your best.
- Elvis: I signed on to do this movie because you told me to. I need the money.
- Colonel Tom Parker: And you do. You spend like a drunken sailor, and that's none of my business but you show up on time and you say the lines stupid or not that is my business.
- Elvis: Yes sir.
- Colonel Tom Parker: And what's this about some religious kick your on?
- Steve Binder: (About the Colonel) Why do you put up with him, bullying you, treating you like a child?
- Elvis Presley: You know, I've thought about that over the years, and I've tried to explain it to you, but you just wouldn't understand.
- Steve Binder: I think I do.
- Elvis Presley: How? You know nothing about the world I come from.
(Steve sits down next to him)
- Steve Binder: Actually, I know a lot about you, Elvis, it's my job. You're not the poor kid from Tupelo anymore. You live in the big house. You can be your own boss man. You've certainly grown out that old carney.
- Elvis Presley: I gave him my word. Besides, before me, there was no such thing as a rock star, he wrote the book on how to make one. Anyone else who'll hire him, we'll just regret it.
- Steve Binder: Well, maybe it's time to write a new book.
(Elvis looks at him)
- Steve Binder: Your own book.
- Elvis Presley: I'm the one who pays the bills round here, don't you ever forget that.
- Vernon Presley: Well, how can we forget it, you keep reminding us every time you don't get your way.
- Elvis Presley: Colonel? I want to talk to you about West Side Story.
- Colonel Tom Parker: Have a seat.
- Elvis Presley: It's a big classic film, and they want me for the lead. I can act the hell out of it, Colonel.
- Colonel Tom Parker: Have you seen the shooting schedule? Six months, we can make five films at that time.
- Elvis Presley: But it's a chance to doing something special, something really good.
- Colonel Tom Parker: Elvis, let me give you a lesson on economics.
(Elvis sighs with disappointment)
- Colonel Tom Parker: G.I. Blues, your first movie back, one of those lame musicals you grap about. A Blockbuster, made us millions. Your second movie, Flaming Star, an ambitious drama, well reviewed, made zilch. What does that tell you?
- Elvis Presley: Why don't you tell me, you're chomping at the bit.
[Last ending title cards]
- Title card: Elvis' 1968 Comeback Special received rave reviews from the critics and was seen by nearly half of the American television audience.
- Title card: Elvis never realized his dream of touring overseas, and he never left the Colonel.
- Title card: Worn out by touring, high living, and prescription drug dependency, Elvis died in 1977. He was 42.
- Title card: His records still sell by the millions. Elvis remains The King.
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers - Elvis Presley.
- Randy Quaid - Colonel Tom Parker.
- Rose McGowan - Ann Margaret.
- Tim Guinee - Sam Philips.
- Antonia Bernath - Priscilla Presley.
- Camryn Manheim - Gladys Presley.
- Robert Patrick - Vernon Presley.
- Randy McDowell - Gene Smith.
- Jennifer Rae Westley - Dixie Locke.
- Mark Adam - Scotty Moore
- Jack Noseworthy - Steve Binder.
- John Boyd West - Red West
- Clay Steakley - Bill Black.
- CBS Original Movie Event, Sunday, May 8 9/8c.