Empire of the Sun
- Directed by Steven Spielberg. Written by Tom Stoppard, based on J. G. Ballard's semi-autobiographical novel of the same name.
Jim Graham 
- Wah, ha ha! Go! P-51, Cadillac of the sky!
- Learned a new word today: "Atom bomb". It was like a white light in the sky, like God taking a photograph.
- I can't remember what my parents look like.
- I could bring everyone back
- Jim: I was dreaming about God.
- Mary Graham: What did he say?
- Jim: Nothing. He was playing tennis. Perhaps that's where God is all the time and that's why you can't see Him when you're awake, do you think?
- Mary Graham: I don't know. I don't know about God.
- Jim: Perhaps He's our dream... and we're His.
- Jim: [about the Japanese troops camped nearby] It almost looks as if they're waiting for something to happen...
- John Graham: Yes.
- Jim: They didn't look angry or anything...
- Maxton: It's not their anger; it's their patience.
- Jim: [as Frank and Basie are about to leave him in the street] Basie, first I could show you some rich pickings. Hundreds of houses left empty. I could show you some of the houses I lived in before Frank found me. They were luxuriant!
- Basie: Luxuriant? You had good sense being born there, Jim. I'm sure there was good living.
- Jim: There certainly was good living, Basie. There - there was opulence!
- Basie: Heh heh. Opulence. Frank, we'll go and take a look at some of these houses. Let's go, Frank. Opulence.
- Basie: What did you say your name was boy?
- Jim: Jamie and I'm building a man-flying kite and writing a book called Contract Bridge.
- Basie: Jim: a new name for a new life.
- Dainty: Hey kid, would you like a Hershey bar?
- Jim: Oh yes please Dainty!
- Dainty: So would I kid. Have you got one?
- Jim: If the Americans land, the Japanese will fight.
- Dr. Rawlins: You admire the Japanese?
- Jim: Well, they're brave, aren't they?
- Dr. Rawlins: That's important, is it, Jim?
- Jim: It's a good thing if you want to win a war.
- Dr. Rawlins: But we don't want them to win, do we. Remember, we're British.
- Jim: Yes. I've never been there.
- Jim: Dr. Rawlins, do you remember how we had helped build the runway? If we die like the others, our bones would be in the runway. In a way, it's ourrunway...
- Dr. Rawlins: No it's their runway, Jim! Try not to think so much! Try not to think so much!
- Basie: Jim, didn't I teach you anything?
- Jim: Yes. You taught me that people will do anything for a potato.
- Jim: We'll have to leave the camp.
- Basie: That's the idea, Jim. First one side feeds you and the other side tries to get you killed, then it's turned around; it's all timing.
- To survive in a world at war, he must find a strength greater than all the events that surround him.
- Christian Bale - Jamie "Jim" Graham
- John Malkovich - Basie
- Miranda Richardson - Mrs. Victor
- Nigel Havers - Dr. Rawlins
- Ben Stiller - Dainty