- I didn't aspire to be a good sport; "champion" was good enough for me.
- As quoted in Tennis Confidential: Today's Greatest Players, Matches, and Controversies (2003) by Paul Fein, p. 146
- Tactics, fitness, stroke ability, adaptability, experience, and sportsmanship are all necessary for winning.
- As quoted in Winning Words : Classic Quotes from the World of Sports (2008) by Michael Benson, p. 181
Quotes about Perry
- Whenever an opponent would make an especially good shot, Perry would cry out "Very clevah." I never played Fred competitively, but I heard enough from other guys that "Very clevah" drove a lot of opponents crazy.