Steven Carter 
- I'm sick of feelin' totally alone. I want to have friends who like me for who I am. I want to have a family who loves me for who I am and not for someone I pretend to be to keep their love! I'm sick of hiding... of being sad and... scared.
- It's only love. Why's everyone so scared of?
- Jessica: I was right about one thing: you're different from other blokes.
- Kevin: Am I right with it, Carter? You really are a queer!
- Steven's Mother: He's my son and I'm very proud of him. And if you do something to hurt him, I'll have your bollocks for earrings.
- Mark: So you're in the school magazine this year.
- Wendy: Well, I am the school magazine. No one else can be fucked.
- Mark: I can be fu— I'd like to help.
- Mark: We want the magazine to be more radical, right? And what could be more radical than a gay story?
- Jessica: It is not a gay story. It's a pervert story.
- Kevin: What's the difference?
- Wendy: You're not gay, you're a pervert.
- Steven's Father: But all that stuff of this town having nothing for someone of your age — I thought you really catched how a young person sees life.
- Steven: Life? What d'you know about my life?
- Steven: John Dixon and me... We're lovers.
- Linda: In your dreams.
- John: I like her. I really like her.
- Steven: Do you... do you love her?
- John: Steven... I love you.