The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
(Redirected from Good, the Bad and the Ugly, The)
- Directed by Sergio Leone. Written by Agenore Incrocci, Furio Scarpelli, Luciano Vincenzoni, and Sergio Leone.
- [During their stay in the Union camp, watching Confederate and Union soldiers fight over the bridge] I've never seen so many men wasted so badly.
- Two hundred thousand dollars is a lot of money. We're gonna have to earn it.
- I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side to protect me.
- After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
- The way I figure, there's really not too much future with a sawed-off runt like you.
- [to Tuco] Tut, tut. Such ingratitude after all the times I saved your life.
- Put your drawers on, and take your gun off.
- Every gun makes its own tune.
- [to Tuco] Were you gonna die alone?
- [After the stand-off, where in Angel Eyes is killed and Tuco finds out that there're no bullets in his gun] You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
- [Upon reading angel eyes' "see you soon, idiots" note] [to Tuco] It's for you.
- When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
- But if you miss, you had better miss very well. Whoever double-crosses me and leaves me alive, he understands nothing about Tuco. Nothing!
- There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend. Those who have a rope around their neck and those who have the job of doing the cutting.
- If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.
- Don't die, I'll get you water. Stay there. Don't move, I'll get you water. Don't die until later.
- You want to know who you are? Huh? Huh? You don't, I do, everyone does... you're the son of a thousand fathers, all bastards like you.
- Who the hell is that? One bastard goes in, another one comes out.
- You never had a rope around your neck. Well, I'm going to tell you something crazy. When that rope starts to pull tight, you can feel the Devil bite your ass.
- [to a chicken] If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?
- There are two kinds of spurs, my friend. Those that come in by the door, [crosses himself] those that come in by the window.
- If I get my hand on the two hundred thousand dollars, I'll always honor your memory. I swear.
- That's so. Even a tramp like me, no matter what happens, I know there's always a brother who won't refuse me a bowl of soup.
- I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise and sometimes they never get up!
- [To his brother Pablo] You think you're better than I am? Where we came from, if one did not want to die of poverty, one became a priest or a bandit! You chose your way, I chose mine. Mine was harder. You talk of our mother and father. You remember when you left to become a priest? I stayed behind! I must have been ten, twelve. I don't remember which, but I stayed. I tried, but it was no good. Now I am going to tell you something. You became a priest because you were... too much of a coward to do what I do!
- I have a system, very much like yours. Only difference is I don't shoot the rope, I shoot the legs off the stool. Adios.
- The world is divided into two kinds of people, those who have friends and those who are lonely like poor Tuco.
- Hijo de una gran puta! "Son of a great big bitch!"
- Hey Blondie! You know what you are?! Just a dirty son of a b-[gets cut off by the ending music]
Angel Eyes 
- [In a note pinned to a dead man] See you soon, idiots.
- [to Blondie] You're smart enough to know that talking won't save you.
- [to Blondie] You're not digging.
- People with ropes around their necks don't always hang. Even a filthy beggar like that has a protecting angel. A golden-haired angel watches over him.
- Oh, I almost forgot, he paid me a thousand. I think his idea was that I kill you. But you know, the pity is when I'm paid, I always follow my job through. You know that. [Angel Eyes shoots his boss]
- Two people can dig a lot quicker than one. Dig.
- Is this your family? Nice family.
- Stevens: You're... from Baker... Tell Baker that I told him all that I know already. Tell him I want to live in peace, understand? That it's no use to go on tormenting me! I know nothing at all about that case of coins. Now that gold has disappeared, but if he'd listened, we could have avoided this altogether. I went to the Army court; there were no witnesses. They couldn't uncover any more. I can't tell Baker what happened to the money; go back and tell him that!
- No-Legged Soldier: Hand me down a whiskey!
- Union Captain: Whoever has the most liquor to get the soldiers drunk and send them to be slaughtered, is the winner.
- [Approaching a column of grey-clad cavalry]
- Tuco: (shouting) God's with us because he hates the Yanks too!
- [Riding up to Blondie and Tuco, an officer pats the grey dust from his blue uniform.]
- Blondie: God's not on our side because he hates idiots also.
- Angel Eyes: Like a little music with your meal, Tuco?
- Tuco: Music? Yeah, it's very good. It's very good for the digestion.
- Tuco: The name of the cemetery is ... (hesitating) .. Sad Hill. Now it's your turn.
- Blondie: The name on the grave is ... Arch Stanton.
- Tuco: Arch Stanton? You sure?
- Blondie: Yeah. Sure I'm sure.
- Blondie: [Seeing blood on the floor] You're not going to give me the same treatment?
- Angel Eyes: Would you talk?
- Blondie: No... probably not.
- Tuco: You pig! You wanted to get me killed. When d'ya unload it?
- Blondie: Last night. You see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend - those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
- [Angel Eyes prepares to board a stagecoach during Tuco's execution]
- Woman on stagecoach: Glad they got him. A man guilty of all those crimes!
- Angel Eyes: People with ropes around their necks don't always hang.
- Woman on stagecoach: What do you mean?
- Angel Eyes: Even a filthy beggar like that has a protecting angel.
- [Angel Eyes looks around and catches sight of Blondie]
- Angel Eyes: A golden-haired angel watches over him.
- Blondie: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. We cut down my percentage - uh, cigar? - liable to interfere with my aim.
- Tuco: But if you miss you had better miss very well. Whoever double-crosses me and leaves me alive, he understands nothing about Tuco.
- Tuco: [trying to read a note] "See you soon, id..." "id..." "ids..."
- Blondie: [taking the note] "Idiots". It's for you.
- Baker: Here, this is for you. You did a good job for me. [hands over a purse]
- Angel Eyes: Oh I almost forgot. He paid me a thousand. I think his idea was that I kill you. [they both laugh] But you know the pity is when I'm paid, I always follow my job through. You know that.
- Baker: Noo! Angel Eyes!
- One Armed Man: I've been looking for you for 8 months. Whenever I should have had a gun in my right hand, I thought of you. Now I find you in exactly the position that suits me. I had lots of time to learn to shoot with my left.
- [Tuco kills him with a hidden gun]
- Tuco: When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
- Blondie: [counting Angel Eyes' men] One, two, three, four, five, and six. Six, the perfect number.
- Angel Eyes: I thought three was the perfect number.
- Blondie: I've got six more bullets in my gun.
- Tuco: I'll kill you.
- Blondie: If you do that... you'll always be poor... just like the greasy rat you are.
- Tuco: I'm innocent! I'm an honest farmer!
- Sheriff: [shows Tuco the wanted poster] Come here, you! Just a simple farmer, eh? Who is this?
- Tuco: Me?
- Sheriff: Yeah, you.
- Tuco: Who says so? You can't even read! [the Sheriff rolls up the poster] Go ahead, roll it up! I'll give a good idea where you can put it!
- Tuco: [to Blondie] Get on that stool and put the rope around your neck. I have a different system, my friend; I don't shoot the rope, I shoot the legs from under the stool.
- [Sound of distant rumbling]
- Tuco: Even when Judas hanged himself there was thunder.
- Blondie: That could be cannon fire.
- Tuco: Thunder or cannon fire, it's all the same to you. Adios, Blondie.
- Tuco: I'm very happy you are working with me! And we're together again. I get dressed, I kill him and be right back.
- Blondie: Listen, I forgot to mention... He's not alone. There's five of 'em.
- Tuco: Five?
- Blondie: Yeah, five of 'em.
- Tuco: So, that's why you came to Tuco. It doesn't matter, I'll kill them all.
- Bounty Hunter #2: [three bounty hunters have cornered Tuco] No! No pistol, amigo! It won't do you any good!
- Mexican Bounty Hunter: [holding a wanted poster] Hey, amigo! You know you have a face beautiful enough to be worth $2000?
- Blondie: [from behind them] Yeah, but you don't look like the one who'll collect it.
- Eli Wallach - Tuco
- Clint Eastwood - Blondie
- Lee Van Cleef - Sentenza/Angel Eyes
- Rada Rassimov - Maria
- John Bartha - Sheriff
- Livio Lorenzon - Baker
- Antonio Casas - Stevens