The Great Intelligence is a character from the British science fiction television series Doctor Who. Although the Intelligence has no physical form, it is capable of communicating with others through apparent forms or possessed bodies. It first appeared in the serials The Abominable Snowmen (1967) and The Web of Fear (1968) (both written by Henry Lincoln and Mervyn Haisman), where it controlled robotic Yetis and encountered the second incarnation of the Doctor. After a long absence, the Great Intelligence returned to the series in the 2012 Christmas Special The Snowmen, voiced by Sir Ian McKellen, with Richard E. Grant assuming the role in subsequent appearances.
- We must make certain that "Doctor" learns nothing of what is happening. He is a man of great knowledge and intelligence, but he may not show sympathy for the powers that guide us. He may even seek to hinder the great plan.
- The Abominable Snowmen (30 September - 14 November 1967)
- Such a brain as yours is too small to grasp my purpose.
- To the Doctor, in The Abominable Snowmen (30 September - 14 November 1967)
- I have feasted on many minds, I have grown, but now it is time for you to reduce.
- Welcome to the final resting place of the cruel tyrant; of the slaughterer of the ten billion, and the vessel of the final darkness. Welcome... to the tomb of the Doctor!
The Name of the Doctor [7.14]
- (18 May 2013)
- Great Intelligence: It was a minor skirmish by the Doctor's blood-soaked standards. Not exactly the Time War, but enough to finish him. In the end, it was too much for the old man.
- Jenny: "Blood-soaked"?
- Vastra: The Doctor has been many things, but never blood-soaked!
- Great Intelligence: Tell that to the leader of the Sycorax, or Solomon the trader, or the Cybermen, or the Daleks. The Doctor lives his life in darker hues, day upon day, and he will have other names before the end: the Storm, the Beast, the Valeyard.
- Vastra: Even if any of this was true, which I take the liberty of doubting, how did you come by this information?
- Great Intelligence: I am information.
- Jenny: You were a mind without a body last time we met.
- Vastra: And you were supposed to stay that way!
- Great Intelligence: Alas, I did. [peels away its Walter Simeon face, and its clothes fall to the ground leaving no trace of a body underneath; a Whisper Man steps forward and transforms into a replacement Simeon] As you can see.
Quotes about the Great Intelligence
The Bells of Saint John [7.7]
- (30 March 2013)
- The Doctor: I don't know who you are or why you are doing this, but the people of this world will not be harmed, they will not be controlled, they will not be--
- Miss Kizlet: The people of this world are in no danger whatsoever. My client requires a steady diet of living human minds. Healthy, free-range human minds. He loves and cares for humanity. In fact he can't get enough of it.
- The Doctor: It's obscene! It's murder!
- Miss Kizlet: It's life. The farmer tends his flock like a loving parent. The abattoir is not a contradiction. No one loves cattle more than Burger King.