(Redirected from Hippopotamus)
The hippopotamus is the World's second largest terrestrial animal.
- I shoot the Hippopotamus
With bullets made of platinum,
Because if I use leaden ones
His hide is sure to flatten 'em.
- The broad-backed hippopotamus
Rests on his belly in the mud;
Although he seems so firm to us
He is merely flesh and blood.
- T. S. Eliot, "The Hippopotamus"
- Did you ever see the Rhinoceros, and the Hippopotamus, at the Zoological Gardens, trying to dance a minuet together? It is a touching sight.
- Lewis Carroll, A Selection from the Letters of Lewis Carroll to his Child-Friends (1933) edited by Evelyn M. Hatch, Letter to Gaynor Simpson (27 December 1873), p.91
- He thought he saw a Banker's Clerk
Descending from the bus:
He looked again, and found it was
'If this should stay to dine,' he said,
'There won't be much for us!'
- Lewis Carroll, Sylvie and Bruno, Chapter 7: The Baron's Embassy
- A man looking at a hippopotamus may sometimes be tempted to regard a hippopotamus as an enormous mistake.
- G. K. Chesterton, Charles Dickens ch. 10
- Behold the hippopotamus!
We laugh at how he looks to us,
And yet in moments dank and grim,
I wonder how we look to him.
- Away on the hilltop sat combing her hair
His fair Hippopotamine maid.
The Hippopotamus was no ignoramus
And sang her this sweet serenade:
Mud! Mud! Glorious mud!
Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood.
So, follow me, follow, down to the hollow,
And there let us wallow in glorious mud.
- Michael Flanders, The Hippopotamus Song
- There is something about a blurb-writer paying his respects to a funny book which puts one in mind of a short-sighted lord mayor raising his hat to a hippopotamus.
- Michael Frayn, Introduction, The Best of Beachcomber
- The muckle hippopotamus
spelders in glaur apo’ his kite.
A solid fact he seems tae some.
They arena right.
The hippo’s coorse digestive tract
erodes through frequent emptying.
The KIRK’s the only solid fact
that winna ding.
- Woman at zoo: Is that a male or a female hippopotamus?
Keeper: Madam, I don't see how that could interest anybody except another hippopotamus.