Hitler: The Rise of Evil
Hitler: The Rise of Evil is a 2003 television miniseries about the early political career of Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler.
- The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
- If a thief takes your money and you take it back, does that make you also a thief?
- Pride is a weapon!
- Traitors are defined not by themselves, but by the people they betray.
- Either the enemy will pass over our body, or we will pass over theirs!
- Today, the old Reich and it's finest leader enter Valhalla. At the same time, we mark the beginning of a new era. A time of peace and prosperity await us. The thousand year Reich has began. Sieg Heil!
- He's not human. He studies people in order to appear human, but all he has discovered is our fear and our hatred.
- Extraordinary times demands extraordinary actions.
- Friedrich Hollaender: Everyone's depressed - bad for the economy but excellent for cabaret. German people don't need democracy, for God's sake, they need music, laughter, someone to tell them what to do so they can get in line and follow.
- Ernst Hanfstaengl: Don't tell me you've become a nationalist?
- Friedrich Hollaender: I'm a satirist, Ernst. The most dangerous politician of them all. Speaking of humor, I'm going to hear Hitler tomorrow - would you like to come?
- Ernst Hanfstaengl: The anti-Semite?
- Friedrich Hollaender: The National Socialist anti-Semite. Call them "Nazis" just to piss them off. I hear he's fascinating.
- Ernst Hanfstaengl: Well, that's very open-minded of you.
- Friedrich Hollaender: You mean for a Jew, yes? I'm not supporting him, for God's sake. I need new material.
- Adolf Hitler: We were friends once, Ernst; you saw my potential before anyone else; you speak your mind unlike the others; and you love your men more than yourself, which is rare in a leader. But you refuse to bend. Why? You have power.
- Ernst Röhm: I don't want power, I want justice. My men were promised...
- Adolf Hitler: I don't care. I don't give a damn about promises! You know this!... you know this. Ernst, the SA are not now, nor will they ever be the official German army. You must stand down.
- Ernst Röhm: You're right, Adolf. We were friends once; and I will always speak my mind; and I will not betray my men!
- President Paul von Hindenburg: If I appoint you Chancellor, how will I answer to God?
- Adolf Hitler: How will you answer to Germany if you don't?
- Adolf Hitler: The SA are to be bridled, Ernst. They may sing, march, carry flags, but they are to keep calm unless I say otherwise.
- Ernst Röhm: We're not a Sunday shooting club, Adolf. We're a militia.
- Adolf Hitler: Not anymore. My personal security will now be handled by the SS. Your men give off the wrong impression.
- Ernst Röhm: I don't give a damn about impressions, but without the SA, without us, our loyalty...
- Adolf Hitler: The wheels of history have turned! The plan has changed.
- Ernst Röhm: (icily) Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.
- Fritz Gerlich: He's insane. A complete psychotic. He may be a compelling speaker on stage, but in person I could see into his eyes and what I saw was... terrifying.
- Gustav von Kahr: And I intend to shut him down.
- Fritz Gerlich: With all due respect, Commissar Von Kahr, you need to handle him with care.
- Gustav von Kahr: Don't worry, I will. I know how to deal with Adolf Hitler.
- Joseph Goebbels: The opposition papers are implying things about your relationship with your niece.
- Adolf Hitler: Trust these Jews to paint everyone as dirty as they are.
- Joseph Goebbels: But it's not just them. People in the party are also beginning to object...
- Adolf Hitler: She's my niece, for God's sake! We go to the opera together!
- Georg Bell: Hitler's just called an emergency meeting at the Reichstag. He wants our approval for something he calls the "Enabling Act", which will turn this country into an entire police state, with him as absolute ruler.
- Fritz Gerlich: My God. No matter what he does, he just gets stronger!
- Sepp: I'll bet the Nazis set the fire themselves.