Holland–Dozier–Holland is a songwriting and production team made up of Lamont Dozier and brothers Brian Holland and Edward Holland, Jr. They are considered to be one of the greatest songwriting teams in popular music. The trio wrote, arranged and produced many songs that helped define the Motown sound in the 1960s.
Note: The artists listed are the original performers of the songs, although many of the songs were subsequently covered by other artists.
- The love of a women is a wonderful thing (oh yeah),
Yeah, the way you treat 'em is a crying shame (oh yeah),
I tell you, fella, yeah, it won't be long (oh yeah),
Yeah, before these women they all have gone (oh yeah).
- Hello loneliness, goodbye love
I'm tired of being abused & being misused
I've had my share of romance, no more for me
I'm lockin' up my heart & throwin' away the key.
- Here's our old favorite record
I can't stand to hear it anymore
Here's some old lingering love
It's in my heart and it's tearing it apart.
- 'Cause now he's hangin' around my door
More happier than before
Now you're in misery 'cause you lost him to me
Now the hurt's on you, now the hurt's on you
Your little scheme backfired, it's true
You made bets, any boy you could get.
- Whenever I'm with him
Starts to burning
And I'm filled with desire,
Could it be the devil in me?
Or is this the way love's supposed to be?
- (Love Is Like a) Heat Wave, sung by Martha and the Vandellas (1963)
- Lum de Lum de la ey
Lum de Lum de la ey
This cat named Mickey came from out of town
He been spreading this new dance all around
And in just a matter of a few days
This dance became the new teen craze.
- But when the love light starts shining through his eyes
Made me realize I should apologize
And when he placed a kiss upon my face
Then I knew, oh then I knew that he won my heart.
- When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes, sung by The Supremes (1963)
- Gather round you swingers and friends
Help me forget my hurt within
About the only girl I ever loved
The only one I'm thinkin' of and
I've gotta dance to keep from crying.
- I Gotta Dance to Keep From Crying, sung by The Miracles (1963)
- You're like quicksand
Sinking me deeper in love with you
The more I fight it, the deeper in love I get
Each time you hold me
I feel nothing but happiness
It's not safe loving you this way
But from your arms, I can't stay.
- Quicksand, sung by Martha and the Vandellas (1963)
- Tired of abuses and excuses
I've made up my mind
Gonna tell him this time
We're through, yeah.
But everything I plan to say
Just seems to fade away
Every time I see his face
My eyes light up
Sparks start to flying.
- Live Wire, sung by Martha and the Vandellas (1963)
- Don't be fooled, by the shyness in his eyes
Don't you know, he's just a devil in disguise
So you better run, run, run, run, run, run
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
- Run, Run, Run, sung by The Supremes (1963)
- Listen everybody especially you girls
Is it right to be left alone while the one you love is never home?
I love too hard my friends sometimes say
But I believe, I believe that a woman should be loved that way.
But it hurts me so inside
To see her treat me so unkind
Somebody somewhere tell her it's unfair.
- I saw the saddest thing, other day.
When an old man pass my way.
Walking the streets so all alone.
All because he had no home.
But the saddest thing I've ever seen,
Is a tear from a woman's eye.
- But in my lonely room
Tears I don't have to hide
Cause I just lock my door
And let myself go and
Lay right down and cry.
- In My Lonely Room, sung by Martha and the Vandellas (1964)
- Baby, baby, baby
Baby don't leave me
Ooh, please don't leave me
All by myself.
I've got this burning, burning, yearning
Feelin' inside me
Ooh, deep inside me
And it hurts so bad.
- Where Did Our Love Go, sung by The Supremes (1964)
- Ooh, baby, baby
Where did our love go?
Ooh, don't you want me
Don't you want me no more? Ooh, baby.
- Where Did Our Love Go
- Don't you break my heart
'Cause I sacrifice to make you happy
Get nothin' for myself
Now you wanna leave me
For the love of someone else
My pride is all gone, whether right or wrong
I believe, baby, you'd better keep on keepin' on.
- Baby Don't You Do It, sung by Marvin Gaye (1964)
- Baby, I need your loving
Got to have all your loving.
- Darlin' I can't go on without you
(and I need you and I want you, baby)
This emptiness wont let me live without you
(And I need you and I want you, baby)
This loneliness inside me darlin'
(And I need you and I want you, baby)
Makes me feel half alive
(And I need you and I)
- Baby I Need Your Loving
- Baby love, my baby love
I need you, oh how I need you!
But all you do is treat me bad
Break my heart and leave me sad
Tell me, what did I do wrong?
To make you stay away so long?
- Baby Love, sung by The Supremes (1964)
- I've been crying, 'cause I'm lonely for you
Smiles have all turned to tears
But tears won't wash away the fears
That you're never ever gonna return
To ease the fire that within me burns.
- Come See About Me, sung by The Supremes (1964)
- You are so wonderful
That being near you is all I'm living for
You show me more kindness in little ways
Than I've ever known in all my days
Tell me we'll stay together
Let me love you forever
'Cause you're a wonderful one
You're a wonderful one.
- You're a Wonderful One, sung by Marvin Gaye (1964)
- I needed the shelter of someone's arms
And there you were
I needed someone to understand my ups and downs
And there you were.
With sweet love and devotion
Deeply touching my emotions
I want to stop and thank you baby
I want to stop and thank you baby.
- How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You), sung by Marvin Gaye (1964)
- Stop, in the name of love
Before you break my heart
Stop, in the name of love
Before you break my heart.
Think it over, think it over.
- Stop! In the Name of Love, sung by The Supremes (1965)
- Each night as I sleep
Into my heart you creep
I wake up feeling sorry I met you
Hoping soon that I'll forget you
When I look in the mirror
And comb my hair
I see your face
Just a-smiling there.
- Nowhere to Run, sung by Martha and the Vandellas (1965)
- Oh, but now he's back in my arms again
Right by my side
I got him back in my arms again,
- Back in My Arms Again, sung by The Supremes (1965)
- Sugar pie, honey bunch
You know that I love you
I can't help myself
I love you and nobody else.
In and out my life
You come and you go
Leaving just your picture behind
And I kissed it a thousand times.
- I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch), sung by the Four Tops (1965)
- You're sweet as a honey bee
But like a honey bee stings
You've gone and left my heart in pain
All you left is our favorite song
The one we danced to all night long
It used to bring sweet memories
Of a tender love that used to be.
Now it's the same old song
But with a different meaning
Since you been gone.
- It's the Same Old Song, sung by the Four Tops (1965)
- Whenever you're near
I hear a symphony
A tender melody
Pulling me closer
Closer to your arms.
- I Hear a Symphony, sung by The Supremes (1965)
- Ooh, this old heart of mine, been broken thousand times
Each time you break away, I fear you're gone to stay
Lonely nights that come, memories that go
Bringing you back again, hurting me more and more.
- From this old world I try to hide my face
But from this loneliness there's no hiding place
Inside this cold and empty house, I dwell
In darkness with memories I know so well.
- My World Is Empty Without You, sung by The Supremes (1966)
- Put yourself in my place
If only for a day
See if you can stand
The awful hurt I feel inside
And, oh, oh
Put yourself in my place
For just a little while
Live through the loneliness
The endless emptiness I go through.
- I need love love
To ease my mind
I need to find find
Someone to call mine
But mama said
"You can't hurry love,
No you just have to wait"
She said "Love don't come easy
It's a game of give and take."
- You Can't Hurry Love, sung by The Supremes (1966)
- Now, if you feel that you can't go on
All your hope is gone
Life is filled with much confusion
Happiness is just an illusion
And your world is tumblin' down,
Darling, reach out,
I'll be there to love and shelter you
I'll be there, I'll always see you through.
- Reach Out I'll Be There, sung by the Four Tops (1966)
- Set me free, why don't cha, baby
Get out my life, why don't cha, baby
'Cause you don't really love me
You just keep me hangin' on.
You don't really need me
But you keep me hangin' on
You don't really need me
But you keep me hangin' on.
- You Keep Me Hangin' On, sung by The Supremes (1966)
- Standing in the shadows of love
I'm getting ready for the heartaches to come
Can't you see me standing in the shadows of love
I'm getting ready for the heartaches to come.
- Standing in the Shadows of Love, sung by the Four Tops (1966)
- Oh Jimmy Mack
When are you coming back?
My arms are missing you
My lips feel the same way too
I tried so hard to be true
Like I promised I'd do.
But this boy
Keeps coming around
He's trying to wear
My resistance down.
- Jimmy Mack, sung by Martha and the Vandellas (1967)
People are searching for the kind of love that we possess.
Some go on searching their whole life through
And never find the love I've found in you.
- Bernadette, sung by the Four Tops (1967)
- Through the mirror of my mind
Time after time
I see reflections of you and me.
The way life used to be.
The love you took from me.
- Reflections, sung by The Supremes (1967)
- Give me just a little more time
And our love will surely grow.
Life's too short to make a mistake
Let's think of each other and hesitate
Young and impatient we may be
There's no need to act foolishly
If we part our hearts won't forget it
Years from now we'll surely regret it.
- Now that you're gone
All that's left is a band of gold
All that's left of the dreams I hold
Is a band of gold
And the memories of what love could be
If you were still here with me.