- If any young man is about to commence the world, we say to him, publicly and privately, Go to the West.
- New Yorker (25 August 1838); often paraphrased as "Go west, young man, and grow up with the country", this is sometimes misattributed to John L. Soule
- The illusion that times that were are better than those that are, has probably pervaded all ages.
- The American Conflict, A History of the Great Rebellion (1864)
- My leading idea was the establishment of a journal removed alike from servile partisanship on the one hand and from gagged, mincing neutrality on the other.
- The masses of our countrymen, North and South, are eager to clasp hands across the bloody chasm which has so long divided them.
- Acceptance of Liberal Republican nomination as President (29 May 1872)
- The Republic needed to be passed through chastening, purifying fires of adversity and suffering: so these came and did their work and the verdure of a new national life springs greenly, luxuriantly, from their ashes.
- Greeley on Lincoln (1893), edited by Joel Benton, p. 78
- There aren't half enough of them going there as it is.
- Works by Horace Greeley at Project Gutenberg
- Cartoonist Thomas Nast vs. Candidate Horace Greeley
- Biography at the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online
- Biography - US History
- Biography - Tulane Univ
- Information on the Sylvania Association in Greeley, PA, supported and financed by Horace Greeley
- Horace Greeley, An Overland Journey from New York to San Francisco in the Summer of 1859 (1860). Book advocating a Transcontinental Railroad
- Mr. Lincoln and Friends: Horace Greeley
- Mr. Lincoln's White House: Horace Greeley
- New Castle Historical Society: Horace Greeley House
- Horace Greeley Foundation web page
- International Vegetarian Union: History of Vegetarianism - USA: 19th Century