House of Cards (U.S. TV series)
- 1 Season 1
- 2 Cast
- 3 External links
- Zoe: Wait. We're in a very gray area. Ethically. Legally. Which I'm okay with --
- Frank: I just love this painting, don't you? We're in the same boat now, Zoe. Take care not to tip it over. I can only save one of us from drowning.
- Cathy: Kern is a boy scout.
- Frank: Nobody's a boy scout. Not even boy scouts.
- Claire: [about Zoe] Does that work on anybody?
- Frank: Does what?
- Claire: The pushup bra and the v-neck tee.
- Frank: Well, if it does, I don't know who they are.
- Frank: There are two kinds of pain. The sort of pain that makes you strong. Or useless pain. The sort of pain that's only suffering. I have no patience for useless things. Moments like this require someone who will act. To do the unpleasant thing. The necessary thing... There, no more pain.
Chapter 2 [1.02]
- Frank: Such a waste of talent. He chose money over power, in this town a mistake nearly everyone makes. Money is the McMansion in Sarasota that starts falling apart after ten years, power is the old stone building that stands for centuries. I cannot respect someone who does not see the difference.
Chapter 3 [1.03]
- Zoe: I've been offered a spot on Nightline.
- Frank: You want my advice?
- Zoe: I don't want it, I need it.
- Frank: Close your eyes.
- [Zoe closes her eyes]
- Zoe: Okay.
- Frank: It's 11:25, Nightline is about to come on, millions of people are watching. Where are you -- home?
- Zoe: No.
- Frank: At the studio?
- Zoe: Yes.
- Frank: And what do you see?
- Zoe: I see lights. I see a camera.
- Frank: And that little red dot goes on. Tell me what you hear.
- Zoe: I hear my voice.
- Frank: And those millions of people, what do they hear?
- Zoe: My voice.
- Frank: And what do they see?
- Zoe: My face.
- Frank: So you don't need my advice.
- Zoe: Hammerschmidt's gonna freak.
- Frank: You don't want to work anywhere you're not willing to get fired from, Zoe. Treading water is the same as drowning, for people like you and me. Good luck, I'll be watching.
Chapter 4 [1.04]
Chapter 5 [1.05]
Chapter 6 [1.06]
Chapter 7 [1.07]
Chapter 8 [1.08]
Chapter 9 [1.09]
- Russo: The more of my words, the fewer of yours, the better off we'll both be.
- Reporter: If I didn't think you were such a liability to yourself, congressman, I might even like you.
- Russo: If your circulation was as high as the Wall Street Journal, I might like you back.
- Frank: A great man once said, everything is about sex. Except sex. Sex is about power.
- Claire: Such a shame, all of that hard work.
- Frank: I want to know who lied
Chapter 10 [1.10]
Chapter 11 [1.11]
Chapter 12 [1.12]
- Raymond: Decisions based on emotion aren't decisions, at all. They're instincts. Which can be of value. The rational and the irrational complement each other. Individually they're far less powerful.
- Raymond: Fact, I have something that you want. You have something that I want.
- [Frank chuckles at finding the negotiating tables turned]
- Raymond: Have I said something amusing?
- Frank: I've sat too many times on your side of the table not to enjoy the irony of finding myself on this side of it.
- Frank: [about Tusk] He doesn't measure his wealth in private jets, but purchased souls.
Chapter 13 [1.13]
- Gillian: [putting Claire's hand on her belly] Do you feel that? The kicking? I won't let people like you fuck up the world my child has to live in. If I have to tell a few lies to do that... I've learned one valuable thing from you.
- Raymond: I'm must say, I'm surprised, Frank. You have a reputation for pragmatism.
- Frank: And I've also avoided a reputation for indentured servitude.
- Raymond: I never make an offer more than twice, Frank. Tell me now if I can count on your cooperation.
- Frank: You're not offering cooperation, you demanding tutelage. So let me make *you* a proposal. I am absolutely willing to work together as equals. I will take your opinions seriously, just as the president does. But I will not bind myself to them in advance. If that doesn't interest you, fair enough. Good luck finding a vice president in the next four days who will prove as pragmatic as I. You can't purchase loyalty Raymond. Not the sort I have in mind. If you want to earn my loyalty, then you have to offer yours in return. And if we can agree to that - well, you're a man with imagination.
- Frank: [speaking to God] Every time I've spoken to you, you've never spoken back, although given our mutual disdain, I can't blame you for the silent treatment. Perhaps I'm speaking to the wrong audience. Can you hear me? Are you even capable of language, or do you only understand depravity? Peter, is that you? Stop hiding in my thoughts and come out. Have the courage in death that you never had in life. Come out, look me in the eye and say what you need to say. There is no solace above or below. Only us - small, solitary, striving, battling one another. I pray to myself, for myself.
- Kevin Spacey - Francis "Frank" J. Underwood
- Robin Wright - Claire Underwood
- Kate Mara - Zoe Barnes
- Corey Stoll - Peter Russo
- Michael Kelly - Doug Stamper
- Sakina Jaffrey - Linda Vasquez
- Kristen Connolly - Christina Gallagher
- Constance Zimmer - Janine Skorsky
- Sebastian Arcelus - Lucas Goodwin