Indonesia is a sovereign state in Southeast Asia and Oceania. Indonesia is an archipelago comprising approximately 17,508 islands. It encompasses 33 provinces and 1 Special Administrative Region (for being governed by a pre-colonial monarchy) with over 238 million people, making it the world's fourth most populous country. Indonesia's republic form of government comprises an elected legislature and president. The nation's capital city is Jakarta.
- We want to make sure that many products consumed domestically can be produced within the country. We hope the economy can be supported not only by consumption but also by production activities.
- Trade Minister Gita Wirjawan on "New Trade Law Expected to Boost Domestic Production in Indonesia", January 28, 2014 (January 29, 2014 in Indonesia time).
- The Australian government never comments on specific intelligence matters. I will never say or do anything that might damage the strong relationship and the close co-operation that we have with Indonesia, which is all in all, our most important relationship.
- Tony Abbott, quoted on BBC News, "Australia 'spied on Indonesia President Yudhoyono'", November 18, 2013.
- Indonesia is a country for which I have a great deal of respect and personal affection based on my own time in Indonesia. I want nothing, but the best for Indonesia, and I certainly want, Leigh, I certainly want the boats stopped and that is overwhelmingly in the interests of both our countries.
Economy of Indonesia
- Indonesia’s ranking has improved remarkably as cited in the report. However, we recognize the need to continue improving our competitiveness and the government has prioritized overcoming these challenges, especially infrastructure bottlenecks. We also recognize the need to improve human resources by continuously improving health, education and workers’ training.
- Mari Elka Pangestu, Minister of Trade of Indonesia, quoted in www.weforum.org, "Indonesia Shows Strongest Progress among G20 in New Competitiveness Report", June 8, 2011.
- Indonesia is one of the least exposed economies in the region, with a vast domestic market and a relatively small share of exports to gross domestic product, so it is insulated from volatility in the global economy,
- George Worthington of IFR, quoted on BBC News, "Indonesia's economy grows at fastest pace in 15 years", February 6, 2012.
- As per today's data, Indonesia remains one of the fastest growing, and perhaps more importantly, one of the most stable economies in Asia,
- Taimur Baig, an economist with Deutsche Bank, quoted on BBC News, "Indonesia's economy: Domestic demand boosts expansion", August 6, 2012.
- Indonesia has a much younger, productive, and growing population. That is a different demographic outlook to the situation in many Western European economies, where the labor force will be either static or decline in size in the future.
- Raoul Oberman, Chairman of McKinsey & Company, Indonesia, quoted in CNBC, "Indonesia's Economy to Surpass Germany, UK by 2030: McKinsey", September 2012.
- Despite today’s upside surprise, we maintain our view that Indonesia’s growth will slow further in the coming quarters, as the impact of Bank Indonesia’s policy tightening weighs on credit growth and, in turn, GDP growth.
- Prakriti Sofat, an economist at Barclays in Singapore, quoted in Bloomberg, "Indonesia’s Growth Beats Estimates as Rebound Seen Faltering", February 5, 2014.
- In 2014, Indonesian biodiesel producers may export 2.2 million kilolitres of biodiesel, up from 1.833 million kilolitres last year. Domestic biodiesel sales may jump to 3 million kilolitres this year, up from 1.006 million kilolitres last year.
- Paulus Tjakrawan, chairman of the Indonesian Biofuel Producers Association (APROBI), quoted on Reuters.com, "Indonesia's 2014 biodiesel consumption forecast to jump -industry", March 17, 2014.