James and the Giant Peach
James and the Giant Peach is a 1996 musical fantasy film, part live-action and part stop-motion animation. It tells the story of James Henry Trotter, a boy who ends up in the abusive care of his two repulsive aunts after his parents are eaten by a monstrous rhinoceros from out of the clouds. But when a mysterious man gives him magical green "crocodile tongues" which end up producing a gigantic peach from the old peach tree, James soon finds himself on an amazing adventure, along with a company of kind-hearted enormous bugs.
- Directed by Henry Selick. Produced by Tim Burton and Denise Di Novi. Music and songs by Randy Newman. Based on the novel by Roald Dahl.
James Henry Trotter
- When I had a problem, my mum and dad would tell me to look at it another way.
- [yelling at the Rhino] YOU'RE NOT EVEN A REAL RHINO! YOU'RE JUST A LOT OF SMOKE AND NOISE! [The Rhino roars] I'M NOT AFRAID OF YOU!
- It's the Rhino!
- Listen to me, kid. I know a place that'll refresh your memory.
- [after the robotic shark is defeated] Teach ya to mess with me, ya overgrown sardine! I'm from Brooklyn!
- [screams as he sees that the skeletal pirate captain is holding his suspenders] I should've worn a belt!
- [As he, Miss Spider, and James escape the skeleton pirates] Hey, I got a new one for you. Why can't skeletons play music in church? Because they have no ORGANS!
- Kid, you're stuck with us for life.
- No, it couldn't be!
- [repeated line] Fascinating, isn't it?
- What's your latitude? What's your longitude?
- Mr. Centipede, would you please do us the honor of navigating us out of this icebox?
- Could it be?
- Does the Old Green Grasshopper likes the color green?
- James: We're going to New York City!
- Centipede: New York?! They love me there!
- James: Wonderful! They've got a whole park full of leaves for you, Mrs. Ladybug.
- Centipede: Central Park!
- James: [to Miss Spider] And loads of dark hiding places.
- Centipede: Nightclubs!
- James: [to the Old Green Grasshopper] And museums and concerts.
- Centipede: Not to mention Yankee Stadium!
- Earthworm: What about me?
- James: Why, they've got miles and miles of underground tunnels!
- Centipede: The subway!
- James: My father said it's the place where dreams come true!
- Centipede: I've sailed all the five seas! From the sun-drenched reefs of Bora Bora to the icy shores of Tripoli! Commodore Centipede, they used to call me!
- Old Green Grasshopper: Seven.
- Centipede: Huh?
- Old Green Grasshopper: There are seven seas. And Tripoli is in the subtropics, "Commodore".
- Centipede: Trim the sails!
- Ladybug: There are no sails.
- Centipede: Start the engines!
- Earthworm: There are no engines.
- Centipede: I can't work with this miserable crew!
- [The peach has ended up in icy terrain (the Centipede was steering)]
- Old Green Grasshopper: This is an outrage! You are a disgrace to your phylum, class, order, genus and species!
- Centipede: Say it in English!
- Old Green Grasshopper: You, sir, are an ASS!
- [James bumps into Earthworm]
- Earthworm: Whoever you are, keep away from me! KEEP AWAY!
- James: Earthworm, it's me.
- Earthworm: Oh, James. Oh, thank goodness.
- James: You musn't frighten yourself like this all the time.
- Earthworm: Why not?
- James: You'll make yourself sick. When I had a problem, my mum and dad would tell me to look at it another way.
- James: I finished all of the chores.
- Aunt Sponge: What a coincidence! We finished all the dinner.
- Aunt Spiker: Oh, Sponge, you're such a tease. [to James] There's something special waiting for you, in the oven.
- Paul Terry - James Henry Trotter
- Richard Dreyfuss - Centipede (voice)
- Simon Callow - Old Green Grasshopper (voice)
- Susan Sarandon - Miss Spider (voice)
- Jane Leeves - Ladybug (voice)
- David Thewlis - Earthworm (voice)
- Miriam Margoyles - Aunt Sponge / Glowworm (voice)
- Joanna Lumley - Aunt Spiker
- Pete Postlethwaite - Mysterious Man / Narrator