- In 1821, Major Stephen H. Long made an expedition to the area now known as Weld County and declared the land was not fit for human prosperity. Almost two centuries later it is without question that Major Long did not have the vision or the admiration for this great place as those of Weld County have today.
- From our humble beginning as a supply town for miners, to the national leader in smart growth and environmental stewardship we are today, Boulder has always been dedicated to the careful balance of entrepreneurship and wise land use.
- I rise today to commemorate one of the most fateful days in the history of the State of Colorado, the day the Rocky Flats Nuclear Weapons Plant outside of Boulder nearly became America's own Chernobyl, some 30 years before that terrible accident in the Ukraine.
- Boulder Rep. Jared Polis is something of a hero to the medical marijuana industry, but recently he took on another fight: the battle against the Stop Online Piracy Act.
- Bryce Crawford (January 19, 2012). "Congressman fights SOPA with porn". Colorado Springs Independent (www.csindy.com).
- Imagine an Internet geek running for office, perhaps none too seriously, on a platform saying: "If elected, I will insert 'The Internet is for Porn' into the congressional hearing record, which will be preserved as an official public document for all time." Whatever his motivations, Polis did just that.
- Declan McCullagh (December 16, 2011). "'Internet is for Porn' pops up during House SOPA debate". CNET News (news.cnet.com).
- Rep. Jared Polis of Colorado has announced the birth of a new son, making him the only openly gay member of Congress to be a parent.
- Associated Press (December 1, 2011). "Gay congressman announces birth of new son". Houston Chronicle.
- Jared Polis of Boulder is the first openly gay man elected to Congress as a non-incumbent.
- Associated Press (August 10, 2009). "Colo. delegation votes party lines on hate crime". KXRM (www.coloradoconnection.com).