- Privacy is a bourgeois fantasy.
- from a talk given at Arse Elektronika 2010
- The widespread inability to understand technological artifacts as fabricated entities, as social and cultural phenomena, derives from the fact that in retrospect only those technologies that prove functional for a culture and can be integrated into everyday life are 'left over.' However, the perception of what is functional, successful and useful is itself the product of social and cultural--and last but not least--political and economic processes. Selection processes and abandoned products and product forms are usually not discussed.
- Interview with Furtherfield
- In a media-based society (and of course there is no such thing as a non-media-based society consisting of more than one person) it is the signs and significants, the meanings and habits and conventions of speaking and thinking, the images and stereotypes which control everything. It is important to analyze how it is represented and of course what is not represented or how it lacks representation. It's not so much Rupert Murdoch – whose assholeness I will not dispute – that we should attack, but rather something I would call the cultural grammar of the public space. Power is formed within such a grammar. Access and non-access to each and every thing is regulated in its realm. Meanings are negotiated there.
- talking about Guerilla Communication strategies in "Urban Hacking", transkript, p.98
- Companies like Nike already use Graffiti as a standard variety in their marketing campaigns and the first people who read Naomi Klein's 'No Logo' were marketing gurus who wanted to know what they shouldn't do.
- talking about Guerilla Communication strategies in "Urban Hacking", transkript, p.106
- The information age is an age of permanently getting stuck. Greater and greater speed is demanded. New software, new hardware, new structures, new cultural techniques. Life-long learning? Yes. But the company can't fire the secretary every six months, just because she can't cope with the new version of Excel. They can count their keystrokes, measure their productivity ... but! They will never be able to sanction their inability! Because that is immanent.
- Minus 24x, 2001
- I think that Man in creating God somewhat overestimated his abilities.
- aphorism used in mRIF
- Imagination is an abuse of power.
- aphorism used in mRIF
- The great gender unifier is your asshole.
- Interview in "Neon", 2014
- I always loved the grand dichotomies of life. Dogs and cats. Cats and mice. Like Tom and Jerry. But as someone who grew up in Central Europe I never understood how a mouse can live inside a wall. Walls are made of bricks! They are not hollow. Way later I came to understand, when I learned that US-American houses are just made of wood, and their walls are really hollow.
- I always wonder what the official web site of the GDR would look like if they were still around. Would they use Flash? Or HTML5?
- The future is like the Jetsons, plus rape.
- at Hope Conference 2010 in NYC, talking about the necessity to deconstruct the patriarchal structures of Western society