(Redirected from John G. Roberts)
|This People article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.
- But the First Amendment protects against the Government; it does not leave us at the mercy of noblesse oblige. We would not uphold an unconstitutional statute merely because the Government promised to use it responsibly. [...] The Government’s assurance that it will apply [a statutory provision] more restrictively than its language provides is pertinent only as an implicit acknowledgment of the potential constitutional problems with a more natural reading.
- United States v. Stevens, 559 U.S. ___, 130 S.Ct. 1577 (2010) (Opinion of the Court).
- Alternatively, the Government proposes that law enforcement agencies "develop protocols to address" concerns raised by cloud computing. Probably a good idea, but the Founders did not fight a revolution to gain the right to government agency protocols.
Quotes about Roberts
- Either he is a liar or he is too naïve to hold any important job including, and especially, this one. This is like a legal ruling written by the little mermaid.
- Bill Maher, on Roberts' ruling, "which said spending large sums of money in elections does not give rise to quid pro quo corruption nor the possibility that an individual would garner influence over elected officials"; HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher (4 April 2014), as quoted in "Bill Maher: Ruling shows 'idiots' won", Politico (5 April 2014)