Alfonso John Romero (born October 28, 1967) is a famous figure in the computer gaming industry. He is best known as a co-founder of id Software and lead designer of their groundbreaking first-person shooter games Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Quake.
- It has to be well timed. It needs to have the right components that maybe contain emerging technologies or something like, say, when Doom came out -- the Network play -- there weren't many games like that. There was a really great 3D world that a lot of people hadn't seen. It was light-years ahead of Wolfenstein. It was shareware, so it had Internet distribution. We used the Internet to get it all over the place. So it used a lot of stuff that was just becoming popular at that time. id just capitalized on it.
- In response to the question, "What makes a classic game?" (quoted from Romero's own webpage)
- To win the game you must kill me, John Romero!
- Distorted and reversed to create the sound uttered by the final boss in DOOM II.
- I completely love playing and designing games and always will. I am so into games that I listen to game music all day. That may sound strange, but you can guarantee I'm a hardcore gamer and would never let you down by designing a crappy title.
- I think Doom had just the right mix of elements that keep people coming back to it: great monsters, excellent weapons with great balance, a spooky environment and extreme speed.
- If you walk into CompUSA or Babbage's and see the vast array of game titles on the shelf, chances are that 95% of those titles are not worth playing.
- In marketing I've seen only one strategy that can't miss - and that is to market to your best customers first, your best prospects second and the rest of the world last.
- Daikatana will be the greatest game of all time
- Doom 2 is just such a bigger, badder, better version of Doom
- Design is Law
- Ion Storm website and ad phrase.
- John Romero's About to Make You His Bitch.
- Suck it Down.
- Quotes from the ads for Daikatana three years before it came out. Source: Gamespy