Sir Jonathan Sacks (born 1948) is the Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of the Commonwealth.
|This religious leader article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- We have no idea where the world is going, except that it's going there very fast.
- Speech to Kenan Ethics department, 2009.
From Optimism to Hope (2004)
- If we are to cherish freedom, and to guard it, we must remember what the alternative is: the bread of affliction and the bitter herbs of slavery.
- Marriage, sanctified by the bond of fidelity, is the nearest life gets to a work of art.
- The twenty-first century is, and will remain, the Age of Insecurity.
The Authorised Daily Prayer Book (4th ed 2006)
- The first of the "request" prayers in the daily Amidah is a fractal. It replicates in miniature the structure of the Amidah as a whole.
- The meaning of the word "true" here is similar to the word Amen said after a blessing. It is an act of affirmation and ratification, reminding us that the Shema is less a prayer than a declaration of faith.
The Case for God, first broadcast on BBC1, 6 September 2010
- Faith is not a certainty. Faith is the courage to live with uncertainty.
- Judaism is the refusal to give way to despair.
- In Judaism faith means wrestling with God as Jacob once wrestled with an angel...