The Usual Suspects
The Usual Suspects is a 1995 film about a boat that has been destroyed, leaving criminals dead, and the key to this mystery lies with the only survivor and his twisted, convoluted story beginning with five career crooks in a seemingly random police lineup.
Roger "Verbal" Kint
- What the cops never figured out, and what I know now, was that these men would never break, never lie down, never bend over for anybody. Anybody.
- Back when I was picking beans in Guatemala, we used to make fresh coffee, right off the trees I mean. That was good. This is shit, but hey, I'm in a police station...
- The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
- Rephrasing of the phrase "the finest trick of the devil is to persuade you that he does not exist" by Charles Baudelaire
- To a cop, the explanation is never that complicated. It's always simple. There's no mystery to the street, no arch criminal behind it all. If you got a dead body and you think his brother did it, you're gonna find out you're right.
- What about it, Agent Kujan? If I told you the Loch Ness Monster blew up that boat, what would you say?
- I'm smarter than you, and you're going to tell me what I want to know whether you like it or not.
- You get NO immunity from me, you piece of shit! Every criminal I've put in prison, every cop that owes me a favor, every creep and scumbag that walks the streets for a living will know the name of Verbal Kint. Now you talk to me, or that precious immunity they seem so fit to grant you won't be worth the paper the contract put out on your life is printed on!
- A rumor's not a rumor that doesn't die.
- [counting off the men he is about to shoot] One, two, three, four, five... Oswald was a fag.
- Old McDonald had a farm, ee-eye-ee-eye-oh/And on that farm he shot some guys... Bada bing, bada bing bang boom.
- One cannot be betrayed if one has no people.
- Get your rest, gentlemen. The boat will be ready for you on Friday. If I see you or any of your friends before then, Miss Finneran will find herself the victim of a most gruesome violation before she dies. As will your father, Mr. Hockney. And your Uncle Randall in Arizona, Mr. Kint. I might only castrate Mr. McManus's nephew, David. Do I make myself clear?
- Keyser Söze: How you doin', Keaton?
- Keaton: I can't feel my legs... Keyser.
- [suspects in a lineup are asked to read a phrase]
- Cop: Number one, step forward.
- Hockney: Hand-me-the-keys, you-fucking-cocksucker.
- Cop: Number two, step forward.
- McManus: GIMME THE KEYS, YOU FUCKIN COCKSUCKER MUTHAFUCKA!! AAAAAARGH!!
- Cop: Knock it off! Get back. Number 3, step forward.
- Fenster: [laughing] Hand me the keys, you cocksucker.
- Cop: In English, please?
- Fenster: Excuse me?
- Cop: In English.
- Fenster: Hand me the fucking keys, you cocksucker, what the fuck?
- Fenster: I don't know anything about no fuckin' truck.
- Cop: Oh, yeah? Well, your friend McManus told us a different story altogether.
- Fenster: Oh, is that the one about the hooker with dysentery?
- Cop: I can put you in Queens on the night of the hijacking.
- Hockney: Really? I live in Queens! Did you put that together yourself, Einstein? Got a team of monkeys working around the clock on this?
- Cop: You know what happens if you do another turn in the joint?
- Hockney: Uh... I fuck your father in the shower and then have a snack? Are you going to charge me, dickhead?
- [after being strip-searched]
- Fenster: I had a finger up my asshole tonight.
- Hockney: Is it Friday already?
- Keaton: His name is Verbal. Verbal Kint.
- McManus: Verbal?
- Keaton: Yeah.
- Verbal: Roger, really. People say I talk too much.
- Hockney: Yeah, I was just about to tell you to shut up.
- Verbal: Can I have some coffee?
- Dave Kujan: In a little while.
- Verbal: I'm really thirsty. I used to get dehydrated as a kid. One time it got so bad my piss came out like snot. I'm not kidding, it was all thick and gooey...
- Jeff Rabin: I'll get you your fuckin' coffee!
- Smuggler: Will this get me to Staten Island?
- [Hands over an envelope full of cash.]
- Cop: You kidding? This'll get you to Cape Cod!
- Cop: Do you know who I am? Do you people know who the fuck I am?
- [Hockney takes his badge]
- Hockney: We do now, jerk-off!
- Keaton: A friend of mine in New York tells me you knew Spook Hollis.
- Redfoot: The way I hear it, you did time with ol' Spook. Good man, wasn't he? I used to run dope for him. Too bad he got shivved.
- Keaton: Yeah. [pause] I shivved him. Better you hear it from me now than from somebody else later.
- Redfoot: Yeah, well, I appreciate that. Just out of curiousity, was it business or personal?
- Keaton: A bit of both.
- Verbal: He was supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody ever believed he was real. Nobody ever knew him or saw anybody that ever worked directly for him. But to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Söze. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. One story the guys told me, the story I believe, was from his days in Turkey. There was a gang of Hungarians that wanted their own mob. They realized that to be in power, you didn't need guns or money or even numbers. You just needed the will to do what the other guy wouldn't. After a while, they come into power and then they come after Söze. He was small-time then, just running dope, they say.
They come to his home in the afternoon, looking for his business. They find his wife and kids in the house and decide to wait for Söze. He comes home to find his wife raped and children screaming. The Hungarians knew Söze was tough, not to be trifled with, so they let him know they meant business. They tell him they want his territory, all his business. Söze looks over the faces of his family. Then he showed these men of will what will really was. He tells them he would rather see his family dead than live another day after this. He lets the last Hungarian go. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground, and then he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids. He kills their wives. He kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they live in and the stores they work in. He kills people that owe him money. And like that, he's gone. [He blows on his fingers] Underground. Nobody's ever seen him since. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'Rat on your pop and Keyser Söze will get ya.' And no one ever really believes.
- Kujan: Do you believe in him, Verbal?
- Verbal: Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well, I believe in God...and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Söze.
- Verbal: Where's your head, Agent Kujan? Where do you think the pressure's coming from? Keyser Söze - or whatever you want to call him - he knows where I am right now! He's got the front burner under your ass to let me go so he can scoop me up 10 minutes later! Immunity was just a deal with you assholes. I got a whole new problem once I post bail.
- Dave Kujan: So why play into his hands? We can protect you.
- Verbal: Oh, gee, thanks, Dave. Bang-up job so far. Extortion, coercion. You'll pardon me if I ask you to kiss my pucker. The same fuckers that rounded us up and sank us into this mess are gonna bail me out? Fuck you. You think you can catch Keyser Söze? You think a guy like that comes this close to getting caught and sticks his head out? If he comes up for anything, it will be to get rid of me. After that...my guess is you'll never hear from him again.
- [Kobayashi has killed Fenster]
- McManus: Now it's payback!
- Keaton: It's not payback! It's precaution. You want payback? You wanna run? I don't care! I'm not doing this for Fenster, I'm not doing it for you... I'm doing it for me. I'm gonna finish this thing. This Kobayashi bastard is not gonna stand on me!
- Kujan: You had a gun, then why didn't you help him? He was your friend!
- Verbal: Because I was afraid, okay? I was afraid.
- Kujan: Afraid of what?
- Verbal: It was Keyser Söze, Agent Kujan! The Devil himself! How do you shoot the Devil in the back? [pause, holds up his crippled hand] What if you miss?
- [Kujan has just theorized that Keaton is Keyser Söze]
- Kujan': It was Keaton's idea to rob the taxi service, wasn't it?
- Verbal: [sobbing] Yes, yes, it was all Keaton! We followed him from the beginning! I didn't know! I saw him die! I believe he's dead, oh Christ!
- Kujan: You saw what he wanted you to see. He chose you because he knew he could manipulate you. Because you're weaker than them.
- Verbal: Do...do you really think he was...
- Kujan: Keyser Söze? I don't know, Verbal. Keyser Söze's a shield, or, like you say, a spook story. But if I know Keaton, he's not going to let this go. You're not safe on your own.
- Verbal: [defiantly] I'll take my chances, thank you.
- Kujan: If there really is a Keyser Söze, he's going to come looking for you. Turn state's evidence. You may never see trial.
- Verbal: Maybe so. But I'm not a rat, Agent Kujan. [turns to leave, and then takes one last look at Kujan] Fuckin' cops!
- Stephen Baldwin - Michael McManus
- Gabriel Byrne - Dean Keaton
- Benicio Del Toro - Fred Fenster
- Kevin Pollak - Todd Hockney
- Kevin Spacey - Keyser Söze/Verbal Kint
- Chazz Palminteri - Dave Kujan, US Customs
- Pete Postlethwaite - Kobayashi
- Suzy Amis - Edie Finneran