- What Other countries have taken three hundred years or more to achieve, a once dependent territory must try to accomplish in generation if is to survive. Unless it is, as it were jet propelled, it will lag behind and thus risk everything for which it has fought.
- Capitalism is too complicated a system for a newly independent nation. Hence the need for a socialistic society.
- The autobiography of Kwame Nkrumah (1957), p. x
- By far the greatest wrong which the departing colonialists inflicted on us, which we now continue to inflict on ourselves in our present state of disunity, was to leave us divided into economically unviable States which bear no possibility of real development.
- OAU Summit Conference Cairo 7/19/1964
- We cannot tell our peoples that material benefits in growth and modern progress are not for them. If we do, they will throw us out and seek other leaders who promise more ... We have to modernize. Either we shall do so with the interest and support of the West or we shall be compelled to turn elsewhere. This is not a warning or a threat, but a straight statement of political reality.
- Quoted in Canadian Institute of International Affairs International journal, Volumes 13-14 (1957), p. 160
- Capitalism is a development by refinement from feudalism just as feudalism is a development by refinement from slavery. Capitalism is but the gentleman's method of slavery.
- Quoted in The Jewel of Africa, Vol. 1 (1968), p. 22
- The difference between myself and Castro is that I am not aligned and he is; I am a socialist and he is a communist.
- Quoted in Asiaweek, Vol. 5 (1979), p. 28
- The independence of Ghana is meaningless until it is linked to the total liberation of Africa.
- Quoted in A. E. Ekoko, Margaret A. Vogt, Nigerian defence policy: issues and problems (1990), p. 55